Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mice nesting in mower

Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

Posted to alt.home.repair

natp wrote:
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

Hi,
Tried Japanese mint oil drops? This oil is very strong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2011 11:10 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

natp wrote:
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

Hi,
Tried Japanese mint oil drops? This oil is very strong.

Also, Google "Fresh Cab" for another natural solution. Haven't tried it
yet, but I will when be put the motorhome in drydock for the winter.
Last winter the mice had a field day in the unit. They even chewed
through the cable for the rear backup camera. They also built a huge
nest on top of the generator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Art Todesco wrote:

On 10/1/201

Also, Google "Fresh Cab" for another natural solution. Haven't tried it
yet, but I will when be put the motorhome in drydock for the winter.
Last winter the mice had a field day in the unit. They even chewed
through the cable for the rear backup camera. They also built a huge
nest on top of the generator.

AT least for my pool heater and the automatic cover, moth balls have
worked for the last 20 years or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"natp" wrote in message
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

Start the mower every four hours or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 7:44*pm, (natp) wrote:
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

Get them out of there because they will eat wiring and hoses. We had
mice get into my wife's Camry a couple of years ago and one ended up
inside of the heater blower. He didn't do well when we turned it on
but it took a lot of work to get body parts and stench out. I ended
up buying some of the rodent bars that are hollow. You can break them
in pieces, run a piece of wire or zip-tie through them and hang them
in strategic places. On ours, it was in front of the inlet ports for
the injector system and vent system. Worked.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"natp" wrote in message
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

Start the mower every four hours or so.

I had one nesting in the generator housing of my SA200 welder.

http://billswelderrepair.com/Engine-Drives.html

It's the perforated area.

Started it up, and there were tufts of fur and little feet everywhere. Poor
little guy.

I heard moth balls or dryer sheets work, too.

But, as you said, and I proved, starting it has a way of just cleaning it
naturally.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"natp" wrote in message
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

Start the mower every four hours or so.

Man-O-man. The things you can learn in this NG to take through life and
make it better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2011 12:55 PM, Red Green wrote:
"Ed wrote in
:

wrote in message
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

Start the mower every four hours or so.

Man-O-man. The things you can learn in this NG to take through life and
make it better.

Reminds me of cat that got under guys truck hood to keep warm.

End result was catastrophic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 6:44*pm, (natp) wrote:
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

I have this same problem. In my rototiller motor the mouse chewed all
the insulation off the sparkplug wire. Mothballs sounds like a good
idea but I don't know how long they would last. It gets very hot in
there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Napthalene moth balls might do the trick.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"natp" wrote in message
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the
sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Davej" wrote in message
On Oct 1, 6:44 pm, (natp) wrote:
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

I have this same problem. In my rototiller motor the mouse chewed all
the insulation off the sparkplug wire. Mothballs sounds like a good
idea but I don't know how long they would last. It gets very hot in
there.

reply:

My wife thinks that if a little does a little bit of good, a lot will do a
whole lot of good. Sooooo, she put a LOT of mothballs in the hole the
squirrels ate in the outside wood siding of our cabin. It takes about three
years for the smell to go away. They are cheap. I'd put a whole box
around, but put it in small containers that could "breathe", and protect
them from getting wet. Good luck.

I've also heard those dryer strips work, and you can thumbtack those around.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 8:51*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Davej" wrote in message

On Oct 1, 6:44 pm, (natp) wrote:

[...]

I had one chew up a roll of towels i kept in the car. Dropped two
packets of warfarin (one in trunk, one in cabin). Seems to have
solved the problem. Yes, I did have a 'dead mouse' smell for a few
days but it was faint. For some reason, mice that die from that stuff
don't sstink the way a normal death does.

Haven't had another problem since and it has been several years.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"natp" wrote in message
Mice keep building a nest in my riding mower, under the sheet
metal housing that goes over the flywheel on the engine.
This happens whether the mower is in the shed, outside under
a tarp, or in the basement. I tried the mint sachets but the
mice weren't scared away by those. What else can I try?

Bounce dryer sheets - a guy in my dad's antique car club suggested them, and
I tried them in my 280z stored in an outbuilding. Come spring, no more
mice, and it smells good too.....

Woodpecker Nesting in Siding cybercat Home Repair 27 November 4th 06 03:59 PM
2D online Web-based nesting : e-nesting [email protected] Metalworking 7 May 18th 06 02:10 AM
animal nesting problem Charles Home Ownership 3 February 27th 06 05:40 PM
NESTING TABLES J T Woodworking 0 January 8th 06 07:15 PM
Bird Nesting Acquirer Home Repair 7 April 13th 05 06:08 AM