Acquirer

Default Bird Nesting

Problem: bird nests in gutters.

History: house was built in 1993 and gutter on front gable extends 8-10
inches under the eave to butt up against siding.

Birds have a "natural" shelter from wind/rain/etc under within this
recessed area. I've tried a couple of things to discourage them by
removing the nesting material soon after it's brought in but they keep
rebuilding.

are there any "bird repellent" type things I can do to keep them from
rebuilding? This is a constant problem and I'm afraid the buildup could
result in water/ice damage if left alone.
Milwaukee Tom

How about putting up some hardware cloth, or wire mesh, before they
start to fall in love with that location? Just tack it up for nesting
season.
Tom

DaveR

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:48:45 -0500, Acquirer
wrote:

Problem: bird nests in gutters.

Why not put up some bird houses in nearby trees or on telephone poles.
I'm sure they would prefer them to the gutters.

Just be sure to get the ones with properly sized holes -- too big and
you'll have house sparrows take over instead of the native birds.
HeyBub

Acquirer wrote:
Problem: bird nests in gutters.

History: house was built in 1993 and gutter on front gable extends
8-10 inches under the eave to butt up against siding.

Birds have a "natural" shelter from wind/rain/etc under within this
recessed area. I've tried a couple of things to discourage them by
removing the nesting material soon after it's brought in but they keep
rebuilding.

are there any "bird repellent" type things I can do to keep them from
rebuilding? This is a constant problem and I'm afraid the buildup
could result in water/ice damage if left alone.

It's spring. Birds need a home for baby birds. You can help by being a good
landlord.

Failing that, get a owl decoy at a sporting goods store.

Hopkins

I like a combo of ideas already offered: Put out a proper birdhouse and
then cover the area of gutter with screen.

I think you also could something in the gutter to fill the space that
the birds use. A jar or bottle for instance.

johnny

"Lar" wrote

You can find repellents that fit in caulk guns at home depot/ hardware
type stores. Bird away and Hot Foot are a couple of brands, but they
are all about the same. Only use a small bead for when it gets hot in
the Summer, it can get runny and drip on the house or foliage.
--
Lar

Hey Lar,

Thanks for this information, if the OP doesn't give this a try, I know I
will sometime this summer.

Rob Mills

"Acquirer" wrote in message

Problem: bird nests in gutters.

We have large covered back porch that my wife has several hanging fern
baskets which the Robins were bound and determined to build nests in. I
purchased an owl decoy and set it on the banister around the porch and
haven't seen a Robin with in 50 ft of the porch since. I Move the decoy a
few times a day to different spots around the porch so the birds don't get
accustomed to seeing it in the same spot. RM~

PS, I got my idea from an advertising firm in town that has a lot of bill
boards, they place Owl decoys on their bill boards where they have a big
pigeon problem.