Posted to alt.home.repair

Default trying to change bathroom sink faucet, can't get the old one off

It was a pain in the rear getting the nuts off the stems from
underneath, had to get a deep socket from the auto parts store, but
now everything is disconnected.

But the faucet assembly won't budge. I've pulled from above and
hammered from below. What do I try next?

It looks like the new faucet assembly will go in easily once the old
is off, but I can't seem to get there.

Help!

thanks,
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
It was a pain in the rear getting the nuts off the stems from
underneath, had to get a deep socket from the auto parts store, but
now everything is disconnected.

But the faucet assembly won't budge. I've pulled from above and
hammered from below. What do I try next?

It looks like the new faucet assembly will go in easily once the old
is off, but I can't seem to get there.

Help!

thanks,

Best way is to remove the sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
It was a pain in the rear getting the nuts off the stems from
underneath, had to get a deep socket from the auto parts store, but
now everything is disconnected.

But the faucet assembly won't budge. I've pulled from above and
hammered from below. What do I try next?

It looks like the new faucet assembly will go in easily once the old
is off, but I can't seem to get there.

Help!

thanks,

Due to our crap water I have done that twice. First time on a stainless
sink. Removed sink to grind it off at the bottom. Second time on a sink
that was part of the counter top. On that one tore the faucet apart piece by
piece with cutters, chisels and what ever worked. Have fun. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:18:25 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

It was a pain in the rear getting the nuts off the stems from
underneath, had to get a deep socket from the auto parts store, but
now everything is disconnected.

But the faucet assembly won't budge. I've pulled from above and
hammered from below. What do I try next?

It looks like the new faucet assembly will go in easily once the old
is off, but I can't seem to get there.

Help!

How much did you pay for the socket?
That's nice if you have the right socket, but a 5 buck basin wrench
usually works for me.
Sounds like you either missed the faucet nut, or somebody bedded it
with epoxy or liquid nails.
Once the nuts are off, it should come loose easy.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It was a pain in the rear getting the nuts off the stems from
underneath, had to get a deep socket from the auto parts store, but
now everything is disconnected.

But the faucet assembly won't budge. *I've pulled from above and
hammered from below. *What do I try next?

It looks like the new faucet assembly will go in easily once the old
is off, but I can't seem to get there.

Help!

How much did you pay for the socket?

$9.00 at the auto parts store.

That's nice if you have the right socket, but a 5 buck basin wrench
usually works for me.

Basin wrenches are great if the nut isn't too tight. No way a basin
wrench could have touched these. It took huge force from the half
inch drive socket wrench. And it was hard most of the way down the
threads. Either there was a lot of goop or corrosion on them.

Sounds like you either missed the faucet nut, or somebody bedded it
with epoxy or liquid nails.
Once the nuts are off, it should come loose easy.

--Vic

I've done this before and it just popped off. This one isn't budging,
and I hammered pretty hard from below. I'm skeptical plumber's putty
will hold this well, wonder what they used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It was a pain in the rear getting the nuts off the stems from
underneath, had to get a deep socket from the auto parts store, but
now everything is disconnected.

But the faucet assembly won't budge. *I've pulled from above and
hammered from below. *What do I try next?

It looks like the new faucet assembly will go in easily once the old
is off, but I can't seem to get there.

Help!

thanks,

They are supposed to use plumbers putty but some guys use silicone.
Try a putty knife under the faucet to get it started

This job just got more frustrating. I realized after I took the nuts
off, the washers remained stuck to the sink. I was able to pry them
off with much difficulty.

The gap between stem and edge of the hole is completely filled with
dark brown rock hard stuff. I can't even chip it. It's like they
grouted it in. If it is some breed of plumber's putty they used
enough to completely bed not only the faucet but the stems all the way
through the underside. That explains why the nuts were stuck so
securely.

I am starting to seriously doubt this CAN be removed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Could you try heat with a propane torch (with care) to heat the faucet? WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It was a pain in the rear getting the nuts off the stems from
underneath, had to get a deep socket from the auto parts store, but
now everything is disconnected.

But the faucet assembly won't budge. *I've pulled from above and
hammered from below. *What do I try next?

It looks like the new faucet assembly will go in easily once the old
is off, but I can't seem to get there.

Help!

How much did you pay for the socket?
That's nice if you have the right socket, but a 5 buck basin wrench
usually works for me.
Sounds like you either missed the faucet nut, or somebody bedded it
with epoxy or liquid nails.
Once the nuts are off, it should come loose easy.

--Vic

+1...

Pays to know which tool you need to look for if you don't know how to
do a job because you've never done it before...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

At that point you just cut them off -- you don't even try to unfasten
them...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 19:26:21 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

This job just got more frustrating. I realized after I took the nuts
off, the washers remained stuck to the sink. I was able to pry them
off with much difficulty.

The gap between stem and edge of the hole is completely filled with
dark brown rock hard stuff. I can't even chip it. It's like they
grouted it in. If it is some breed of plumber's putty they used
enough to completely bed not only the faucet but the stems all the way
through the underside. That explains why the nuts were stuck so
securely.

I am starting to seriously doubt this CAN be removed.

Tape around it to protect the porcelain.
Protect backsplash
Then you got lots of options.
Hacksaw, sawzall, hammer and chisel.
Then a grinder to finish.
New faucet with base big enough to cover any damage.
Sounds like fun. Really. I never got to do that.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was also thinking heat. Well, for some kind of sink (cast
iron, porcelean) you can apply heat. Plastic, well, not as
good an idea. Heat will often loosen or disintigrate the
bonding chemical. Wonder what it was, that is holding so
well, when you want it to come loose?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"WW" wrote in message

I am starting to seriously doubt this CAN be removed.

Could you try heat with a propane torch (with care) to heat
the faucet? WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Two thoughts:
Try a piece of pipe slid over one of the bottom spuds as a lever to
twist and raise one side of faucet.
May be able to drill 5/8 or so hole in top decorative trim from the
side and slip a tapered punch in as a lever against sink.

Some of the old putty can be incredibly hard.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2011 4:18 PM, TimR wrote:
It was a pain in the rear getting the nuts off the stems from
underneath, had to get a deep socket from the auto parts store, but
now everything is disconnected.

But the faucet assembly won't budge. I've pulled from above and
hammered from below. What do I try next?

It looks like the new faucet assembly will go in easily once the old
is off, but I can't seem to get there.

Help!

thanks,

Good excuse to change the vanity or call a plumber. Life is too short to
work under sinks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"WW" wrote in message

I am starting to seriously doubt this CAN be removed.

Could you try heat with a propane torch (with care) to heat
the faucet? WW

I put a heat gun on it this morning. And heated a putty knife at the
same time and tried to pry under it. No luck at all.

If the sink is bedded in the same stuff I'm not sure it is coming out,
either. It doesn't even rock slightly in the hole.

Thinking out loud, I could drill a couple big holes in the decorative
piece and fill with solvent, if there's anything that will soften
putty (which seems a bit unlikely). I don't have a sawzall or
grinder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I made some progress.

I took the sink out into the backyard where the light is better.
(same place I look for my car keys)

A heat gun, some WD40, and a hammer, and the old faucet and drain came
out.

Easy to put the new stuff on when you're not under the sink.

Now to put it back - ooops. Not so easy. There are little clips that
hold the sink to the metal ring, and they just don't want to go back
where they came from.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 2:28*pm, TimR wrote:
I made some progress.

I took the sink out into the backyard where the light is better.
(same place I look for my car keys)

A heat gun, some WD40, and a hammer, and the old faucet and drain came
out.

Easy to put the new stuff on when you're not under the sink.

Now to put it back - ooops. *Not so easy. *There are little clips that
hold the sink to the metal ring, and they just don't want to go back
where they came from.

Job is done. Thanks for the advice and helping me think it through.

And yes, tools are cleaned and put away, trash is in the bin, water
back on and no leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2011 1:31 PM, TimR wrote:
On Sep 20, 2:28 pm, wrote:
I made some progress.

I took the sink out into the backyard where the light is better.
(same place I look for my car keys)

A heat gun, some WD40, and a hammer, and the old faucet and drain came
out.

Easy to put the new stuff on when you're not under the sink.

Now to put it back - ooops. Not so easy. There are little clips that
hold the sink to the metal ring, and they just don't want to go back
where they came from.

Job is done. Thanks for the advice and helping

snip

Don't thank me. I'd have called a plumber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:31:43 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Sep 20, 2:28Â*pm, TimR wrote:
I made some progress.

I took the sink out into the backyard where the light is better.
(same place I look for my car keys)

A heat gun, some WD40, and a hammer, and the old faucet and drain came
out.

Easy to put the new stuff on when you're not under the sink.

Now to put it back - ooops. Â*Not so easy. Â*There are little clips that
hold the sink to the metal ring, and they just don't want to go back
where they came from.

Job is done. Thanks for the advice and helping me think it through.

And yes, tools are cleaned and put away, trash is in the bin, water
back on and no leaks.

As Colonel Hannibal Smith always said when the battle was done,
"I love it when a plan comes together!"

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, OK if I call you over, next time I get jammed up?
You're a good man to have around.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus