Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr.E Mr.E is offline

Default trying to change bathroom sink faucet, can't get the old one off

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 01:02:29 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 19:26:21 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

This job just got more frustrating. I realized after I took the nuts
off, the washers remained stuck to the sink. I was able to pry them
off with much difficulty.

The gap between stem and edge of the hole is completely filled with
dark brown rock hard stuff. I can't even chip it. It's like they
grouted it in. If it is some breed of plumber's putty they used
enough to completely bed not only the faucet but the stems all the way
through the underside. That explains why the nuts were stuck so
securely.

I am starting to seriously doubt this CAN be removed.

Tape around it to protect the porcelain.
Protect backsplash
Then you got lots of options.
Hacksaw, sawzall, hammer and chisel.
Then a grinder to finish.
New faucet with base big enough to cover any damage.
Sounds like fun. Really. I never got to do that.

Two thoughts:
Try a piece of pipe slid over one of the bottom spuds as a lever to
twist and raise one side of faucet.
May be able to drill 5/8 or so hole in top decorative trim from the
side and slip a tapered punch in as a lever against sink.

Some of the old putty can be incredibly hard.
--
Mr.E