Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default trying to change bathroom sink faucet, can't get the old one off

On Sep 20, 3:59*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I was also thinking heat. Well, for some kind of sink (cast
iron, porcelean) you can apply heat. Plastic, well, not as
good an idea. Heat will often loosen or disintigrate the
bonding chemical. Wonder what it was, that is holding so
well, when you want it to come loose?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"WW" wrote in message

I am starting to seriously doubt this CAN be removed.

Could you try heat with a propane torch (with care) to heat
the faucet? WW

I put a heat gun on it this morning. And heated a putty knife at the
same time and tried to pry under it. No luck at all.

If the sink is bedded in the same stuff I'm not sure it is coming out,
either. It doesn't even rock slightly in the hole.

Thinking out loud, I could drill a couple big holes in the decorative
piece and fill with solvent, if there's anything that will soften
putty (which seems a bit unlikely). I don't have a sawzall or
grinder.