Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 5" Center Spacing On Bathroom Sink Faucet ?

Hello,

Much thanks for previous help with the different faucet brands opinions.
Thought it best to have a separate Post for this.

Guess nothing is ever simple and straightforward.
Trying to help my son pick out a new bathroom sink faucet.
Present unit came with the house, and is about 35 years old.

It's the typical type of unit, more or less, with the base that has a
hot and a cold faucet, and a spigot for the output in the middle.

But- The handles, and their feed lines are on a 5 inch center.
Not the more or less standard 4" center spacings that most of the units
seem to be these days. Couldn't find a single one for 5".

Questions, please:

A long time ago, was 5" the "standard" ?
Anyone make units (on a base) for 5 " these days ?
I looked at HD, but couldn't find a single one.

Is the only practical alternative to go with individual hot and cold
spigots that would not require any specific spacing ?

-If so, would hope that there is already drilled a center hole for
a spigot. Son not in area, so don't know. How hard would it be to drill
one in a sink material that is Not porcelain; not sure what it is ?

-A bit surprising, but there is Not a lever anywhere on the base
for opening and closing the drain.

Any caveats, or gotchas to look out for ?

BTW: ever hear of Pegasus Brand ? Is it a HD house brand ?
Reputation of ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 7:34*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

http://www.ehow.com/how_6033876_pega...cet-parts.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael B" wrote in message
On Jan 31, 7:34 pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

I've had a Pegasus single handle kitchen faucet for maybe a half dozen years
now.
It is made in Italy and for the most part has been trouble free.

Problems have been with soft parts. The little plastic boot that covers the
spray/stream switch is a weak point that starts to tear.
Another item was a small O ring whose only function was to keep the
pull-out spout from rattling. It is most likely metric and I could not find
it locally.

In both cases a call to Pegasus at 1-800-863-1500 brought free replacements
by mail even though past the normal warrantee period.

I used to use Moen until an internal part failed that disconnected the
cartridge from the lever. That created a non-functioning faucet. Parts were
free but we could not use the sink until they came.

The Pegasus failures were mostly cosmetic an did not prevent use of the
faucet.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Most "wide spread" faucets that I have seen, have flexible hoses between the
valves and the faucet spout and can be set to most spacings. Just look
around at various models, check in the box to see if it is fixed or flexible
in its spacing.