Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oiler does not work in Ridgid 535 pipe threader

I bought a Ridgid 535 pipe threader at an auction at an advantageous
price.

This thing did not work at all, at first. Nothing would run. I swapped
the top and bottom brushes and it started to run fine. (because the
bottom brush was more worn, so I wanted gravity to help it). For the
future, I ordered a set of brushes to replace the worn ones.

As of now, the threader runs, but nothing comes out of what I think is
the oiler pipe. I must admit that I am quite ignorant as to how the
oiling system works.

What I know is that

1) Oil is pumped by a gear pump, which does engage with the main gear.
2) Oil pan is relatively full of oil
3) There is A LOT of crud on the bottom of oil pan
4) If I loosen the compression fitting nut on what looks like the
output of the gear pump,no fluid seems to come out of the loosened
threads.

My guess is that the input (and perhaps output side too) of the pump
is plugged.

What else could be wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 16, 10:38*pm, Ignoramus7432
wrote:
[...]

I would agree. Sounds like it needs a good cleaning.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/535-Threading-Machine

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7432 wrote:
[...]

On my pipe threader there is a piston pump lever sticking out the left
hand side of it to prime the oil pump. Mine is a different brand but
yours may have the same option in a different place.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-17, john wrote:
Ignoramus7432 wrote:
[...]

No piston pump, but there is a priming port, maybe it will help.

I drained all fluid, cleaned out all gunk, and am now filtering the
old oil back in through a rag in a funnel. I will try again after
priming.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-17, Ignoramus8416 wrote:
On 2011-09-17, john wrote:
Ignoramus7432 wrote:
[...]

I forgot to say, I did open the gerotor pump, it seems fine inside.

I drained all fluid, cleaned out all gunk, and am now filtering the
old oil back in through a rag in a funnel. I will try again after
priming.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 00:38:30 -0500, Ignoramus7432
wrote:

[...]

Stick an air blower into the output..AFTER covering the tank with a big
rag..turn on the threader and hit it with air. This after scraping out
the barf from the tank and its screen.

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8416 wrote the following:
On 2011-09-17, john wrote:
Ignoramus7432 wrote:
[...]

They don't sell new oil where you live?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am constantly having to prime the pump for smooth operation
Posted to alt.home.repair

I stick an air hose, tighten the fittings, made sure that they were no leaks, pump is not constantly in need of priming
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 06:28:17 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I am constantly having to prime the pump for smooth operation

The oil filter screen and system in general is probably in need of a
thorough cleaning.

Here is a link to the manual, it might be of assistance in maintaining
the unit.

https://cdn2.ridgid.com/resources/me...ype=d ocument

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 1:38:30 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus7432 wrote:
[...]

You need to prime the pump as it is probably dryer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How do you prime this machine? Just by spinning the hex bolt? Or removing it all together?