Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oiler does not work in Ridgid 535 pipe threader

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 00:38:30 -0500, Ignoramus7432
wrote:

I bought a Ridgid 535 pipe threader at an auction at an advantageous
price.

This thing did not work at all, at first. Nothing would run. I swapped
the top and bottom brushes and it started to run fine. (because the
bottom brush was more worn, so I wanted gravity to help it). For the
future, I ordered a set of brushes to replace the worn ones.

As of now, the threader runs, but nothing comes out of what I think is
the oiler pipe. I must admit that I am quite ignorant as to how the
oiling system works.

What I know is that

1) Oil is pumped by a gear pump, which does engage with the main gear.
2) Oil pan is relatively full of oil
3) There is A LOT of crud on the bottom of oil pan
4) If I loosen the compression fitting nut on what looks like the
output of the gear pump,no fluid seems to come out of the loosened
threads.

My guess is that the input (and perhaps output side too) of the pump
is plugged.

What else could be wrong?

Stick an air blower into the output..AFTER covering the tank with a big
rag..turn on the threader and hit it with air. This after scraping out
the barf from the tank and its screen.

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)