Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence Post Question?? Here's your answers

In article , Home Guy wrote:

The posts are dense spruce (not cedar) and were painted to 2 coats of
creosote (at least the portion of the posts that were set in concrete).

My memory goes back maybe 45 or 50 years. Many farmers used
creosote posts for fencing. Some used hedge posts. The creosote posts
I remember were all purchased that way. Pressure treated, I believe.
Could one buy creosote way back when to paint a post?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Dean Hoffman typed:
In article , Home Guy
wrote:

The posts are dense spruce (not cedar) and were painted
to 2 coats of creosote (at least the portion of the
posts that were set in concrete).

My memory goes back maybe 45 or 50 years. Many
farmers used creosote posts for fencing. Some used hedge
posts. The creosote posts I remember were all purchased
that way. Pressure treated, I believe. Could one buy
creosote way back when to paint a post?

Yes they could; that's a very old product and had a ton of uses thanks to
the railroads. It won't hold a candle to pressure treatments though.
Unfortunately nowadays you have to check to see how it was pressure treated
and with what since all the industry changes the gvt forced upon the
treaters in an effort to protect us from ourselves again.
Simply painting though is pretty inferior to pressure treatment and
doesn't actually permeate into the wood; it just sits on the surface unless
you're using liquid/heated cre and week long soaks.

HTH,

Twayne`

Wood Fence/ Gate / Post Question Roy Baldone Home Repair 15 July 20th 08 11:03 PM
Another silly fence post question Zootal Home Repair 4 November 7th 06 03:28 AM
Fence post spacing question Ook Home Repair 11 September 3rd 06 09:30 PM
Fence post question tom g Home Repair 13 June 20th 06 11:44 PM
Vinyl fence post question David DeBoer Home Repair 2 June 13th 06 10:55 PM