Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hiring a contractor - no insurance?

On Sep 6, 2:07*pm, Caravan wrote:
On 9/6/2011 8:24 AM, wrote:

On Sep 6, 12:37 am, *wrote:
On Sep 5, 11:36 pm, *wrote:

On Sep 5, 10:42 pm, *wrote:

Okay, I need a new roof (tear off and re-shingle) and am getting three
bids. Two contractors were recommended by a lumber yard (not a big box
store) and the third was mentioned but not recommended so I am down to
two no matter what the price. The one that was the most highly
recommended works by himself (he is a licensed contractor) and does a
lot of work for doctors, other professionals, companies, etc. When I
asked him about insurance he said that because he worked alone he does
not need to carry workman's comp.

My home is two story and the roof has pitches of 12:12 and 16:12 so
obviously it is high and steep. It would seem to me that he should have
some kind of insurance so my tush is covered if he falls. OTOH, he is
very professional and does a lot of work for the "big boys" so maybe not.

What are your opinions?

Don

Just ask the guy to sign a "hold harmless" release form in case of
injury,
as you do not want his "one man band" type operation to cause you and
your homeowner's insurance policy any grief... *He would be performing
the work at his own risk, rather than you depending on his special
ninja
skills in magically preventing an on-the-job accident...

If he doesn't want to sign a liability release do not hire him unless
he is
willing to produce a copy of an insurance certificate covering:
personal injury (worker's comp), general liability of at least $500k
and
job completion surety...

It would be quicker if the OP just told the One Man Band guy to ****
off. *What you're proposing would have the same effect.

Having him sign a liability release won't do
anything to help you collect if drops a hammer
on some kid's head. * Or if he lets a ladder fall onto
your neighbors property, taking out his house's
window or crushing his car. *Nor will it stop the
neighbor from suing you for the injuries or
damages and leaving you to *pay it.

worker comp has nothing to do with those situations.- Hide quoted text -

Who ever said it did?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hiring a contractor - no insurance? Situation resolved

On 9/7/2011 12:47 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 12:51:45 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 12:20:40 -0500, wrote:

The contractor was here this morning and just left....he will not do the
job! Mainly because there is no way to get a dumpster or truck close to
the home because of all the perennial flower beds and other landscaping.
It simply would be too labor intensive for one person. This is quite
disappointing as he definitely seemed more qualified and particular than
any of the other contractors that have been here.

You're going to pay more for anybody if they can't get a box close.
Sometimes you're best off to sacrifice some flowers.
Did you tell him he can't put a box on the flowers?

--Vic

And not only that, but anyone can rent a skid steer to move the
removal debris to the dumpster. Also, considering it's nearly fall
and I believe you said you're in Iowa, your flowers will soon be dead
anyhow. I'd opt to lose some flowers if it means saving several
hundred bucks or more. Another thing, you get what you pay for. If
you insist on someone who is insured, you'll pay more. The lower he
can keep his costs, the lower his prices can be. I get the feeling
you want a cadillac but are only willing to pay for a bicycle. Maybe
that's why that first guy decided to not take your job, and just used
the dumpster location as an excuse.

Sorry, but you don't have a clue as to why he turned down.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

And not only that, but anyone can rent a skid steer to move the
removal debris to the dumpster. Also, considering it's nearly fall
and I believe you said you're in Iowa, your flowers will soon be dead
anyhow. I'd opt to lose some flowers if it means saving several
hundred bucks or more. Another thing, you get what you pay for. If
you insist on someone who is insured, you'll pay more. The lower he
can keep his costs, the lower his prices can be. I get the feeling
you want a cadillac but are only willing to pay for a bicycle. Maybe
that's why that first guy decided to not take your job, and just used
the dumpster location as an excuse.

Were you born stupid, or did you just practice a LOT? I can tell you have
never watched a skid steer work, or replanted flowers and reinstalled
irrigation that had been torn up by equipment. And no, you don't always get
what you pay for.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2011 9:15 AM, wrote:

[...]