Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck

Default What to look for in hiring roofing contractor?

I live in Columbia SC area, single story, no dormers, moderate pitch
(you can walk on it being careful.. I don't know the actual pitch)
with asphalt shingle roof in place. I have no visible leaks yet, but
noticed vertical cracks in shingles that run 3 or 4 ft long.
I have ridge vents, and soffit vents aren't blocked..
The shingles are not curled. From the ground, or ladder my roof looks
great!.. But when you get up on it you see these cracks.. large number
of them..
Should I do a tear off? (current roof is original.. 19 years old)
Should I wait for warmer weather? We're having temps in the mid 60's
this week,, but no telling for the next month..
Any suggestions on finding contractor? Besides asking neighbors..
I have the BBB web site bookmarked..
Are fiberglass shingles worth the extra costs?
Do I insist on full coverage of felt paper or is that just a cold
weather item? (currently have felt of unknown weight..)
What about flashing? Part of roof is less pitch, which causes two
areas of roof to meet siding. I can see parts of flashing from attic
where it transitions from behind siding to under shingles.. if this is
in good shape does it need to be replaced? same with what's around
chimney.. Nice and shiny like new..
Thanks for any advice
all this caught me by surprise.... I knew it was 19 years old though..
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

relax, you'll have until it leaks to fix it!
looks like the basics are covered in your questions.
http://www.ehow.com/how_9347_hire-ro...ontractor.html
in buffalo ny they require tearoffs and allow only one layer of
shingles.
let your roofer decide when to do it he may have expensive leaking jobs
he'd prefer to clear first. wait for warmer weather unless the attic or
crawl space is showing problems.
spending money on a properly pitched new rain gutter system to get the
water away from the house is important. sounds like you think the last
guy did a nice job, maybe look him up again?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Chuck" wrote in message
Should I do a tear off? (current roof is original.. 19 years old)

Teraroff costs more, but it depeds on local code and existing condition. If
the new roof will not lay flat, you should do a tearoff.

Should I wait for warmer weather? We're having temps in the mid 60's
this week,, but no telling for the next month..

It can be done much colder. Those temperatures are not a factor.

Any suggestions on finding contractor? Besides asking neighbors..
I have the BBB web site bookmarked..

BBB is a waste unless there are many problems with a contrctor. Best
results are talking to neighbors, looking around the neighborhood to see who
is doing work.

Are fiberglass shingles worth the extra costs?

They are generlly not used in my regions so I don't know.

Do I insist on full coverage of felt paper or is that just a cold
weather item? (currently have felt of unknown weight..)
What about flashing? Part of roof is less pitch, which causes two
areas of roof to meet siding. I can see parts of flashing from attic
where it transitions from behind siding to under shingles.. if this is
in good shape does it need to be replaced?

It will probably be replaced. Talk to the roofer. Good ones will give you
sound advice, but yes, I'd go with the felt.

same with what's around
chimney.. Nice and shiny like new..

Flashing is cheap. If the roofer thinks it should be replaced, listen to
him. Do it now, not some makeshift crap later.

Thanks for any advice
all this caught me by surprise.... I knew it was 19 years old though..

Most builder's grade roofing is designed for 20 years. You may get another
year or so if it is not leaking so no reason to rush into things. Take your
time and talk to a few roofers and choose one that has been around and you
feel comfortable with. Some of the best are small, two, three man
operations.. IMO, all the major brands of roofing are very good. Choose a
style and color you like but don't get the cheapest. In most cases, a 30
year architectural shingle is the best buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rush Limballes

Ignore what Edwin the Polack says is the first rule. Rip off the old roofing
before it leaks and put down a new fiberglass shingle roof.
Fiberglass exceeds asphalt in all tolerences and is cheaper to boot.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Chuck wrote:
I live in Columbia SC area, single story, no dormers, moderate pitch
(you can walk on it being careful.. I don't know the actual pitch)
with asphalt shingle roof in place. I have no visible leaks yet, but
noticed vertical cracks in shingles that run 3 or 4 ft long.

Vertical cracks? Do you mean that there are 4' long cracks running up
the slope of the roof? If so, you're looking at the edges of the
plywood telegraphing through the shingles. You may have a bigger
problem than the dying shingles.

Since you have access in the attic you should get up there and see if
you can see where there are gaps between the rafters and roof
sheathing. To locate the areas in question count the number of tabs
that the worst crack is from the edge of the roof. One tab equals one
foot, then go inside and measure - make sure to allow for roof
overhangs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:01:41 GMT, Chuck wrote:

Do I insist on full coverage of felt paper or is that just a cold
weather item? (currently have felt of unknown weight..)

Aiui, the felt IS the roof. The shingles are there to protect the
felt, and the wood is there to prevent the felt from falling down.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rush Limballes" wrote in message
Ignore what Edwin the Polack says is the first rule. Rip off the old
roofing before it leaks and put down a new fiberglass shingle roof.

Rule? I said it was a rule?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 13:19:50 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:01:41 GMT, Chuck wrote:

Do I insist on full coverage of felt paper or is that just a cold
weather item? (currently have felt of unknown weight..)

Aiui, the felt IS the roof. The shingles are there to protect the
felt, and the wood is there to prevent the felt from falling down.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Thanks for the advise guys..
Chuck (in SC)