Posted to alt.home.repair
chuckster

Default HIRING A CONTRACTOR?? This post may save you BIG $$$$$$$$$$

Check this site out especially if you are thinking of building a pole
barn in the East coast area. Here is the site.
www.MySturdyBuiltGarage.com Read the story about the dead architect.

Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

"chuckster" wrote in message
ps.com...
Check this site out especially if you are thinking of building a pole
barn in the East coast area. Here is the site.
www.MySturdyBuiltGarage.com Read the story about the dead architect.

this contractor should be in prison.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"chuckster" wrote in message
ps.com...
Check this site out especially if you are thinking of building a pole
barn in the East coast area. Here is the site.
www.MySturdyBuiltGarage.com Read the story about the dead architect.

Sure is a beauty. I had a new roof put on a few years back and up until
now, I though it looked pretty good. It does not have the ridging like
yours, that gives such an artistic touch to it. Mind if I copy the pattern?

Mistakes could happen, but without seeing the pictures, I'd never believe a
crew could put us such a structure. Not all of that in just one building.
Levitating studs and all. Incredible.

Good luck with whatever you get out of the SOB.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I will bet he has 20+ judgements against him and nobody can collect,
because nothing is in his name, check your courthouse records. I had a
hack like that do work for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard Thoms

That's truely a horror story. I've never seen so much so wrong on one
job site. I'm curious as to what you think the homeowner can/should do
to avoid these contractors and situations? Also, is there a good way to
"stop the insanity" early on when you're in the middle of this situation?

Let's try to turn this into a positive by posting some good ideas and
proceedures for homeowners to avoid these problems!

I guess the most obvious a
check references
check local BBB
check with area suppliers (lumber yards, etc.)

What else?

Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Connecting Homeowners and Local Home Service Professionals
Homeowners, Find a Top Service Pro -- http://www.TopServicePros.com
Service Pros, Get Listed on the Web - http://www.TopServicePros.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
chuckster

This contractor is STILL in business and is always looking to put up a
"Sturdy Built" pole barn. You have been warned!!!!! Buyer beware!!! The
pictures don't lie.

digitalmaster wrote:
"chuckster" wrote in message
ps.com...
Check this site out especially if you are thinking of building a pole
barn in the East coast area. Here is the site.
www.MySturdyBuiltGarage.com Read the story about the dead architect.

this contractor should be in prison.

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

let me guess...he was the low bidder.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

To check out a builder of course you look at a few jobs, but they will
of course give you only good refrences. One is dont pay a large down
payment. 2 check his court records to see if suits have been brought
against him in the past. 3 you have to have enough not paid on the
contract 50-75% to ensure he will fix things or not get paid.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Sounds like a couple of guys need to get together with him, a backhoe, and a
sapling and plant a tree.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

chuckster, 6/8/2006,8:54:55 PM, wrote:

Check this site out especially if you are thinking of building a pole
barn in the East coast area. Here is the site.
www.MySturdyBuiltGarage.com Read the story about the dead
architect.

How did all this get by the inspector?

Posted to alt.home.repair
chuckster

Pole barns are easy to get by the inspection process. First you get the
footing inspection then you get the final inspection, because there is
nothing "covered up" that can't be seen on the final. There are
multiple violations on this job that were picked up on the final
inspection. If you read the story Sturdy Built says they do not have to
do what the inspector says.