Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C problem

Outside unit just hums, dunno what tune.

Put a call in, service tech says it's the capacitor. I seen Back to the
Future, and not about to fall for a scam.

Could it be the thermostat or low on freezone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2011 5:45 PM, Tony Burbank wrote:
Outside unit just hums, dunno what tune.

Put a call in, service tech says it's the capacitor. I seen Back to the
Future, and not about to fall for a scam.

The outdoor unit does indeed contain run/start capacitor(s) which would
cause the type of problem you are having if it failed.

The recommended replacement of this capacitor is an entirely reasonable
suggestion.

(WTF is freezone???)

Could it be the thermostat or low on freezone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2011 5:45 PM, Tony Burbank wrote:
Outside unit just hums, dunno what tune.

Put a call in, service tech says it's the capacitor. I seen Back to the
Future, and not about to fall for a scam.

Could it be the thermostat or low on freezone?

If he made this determination in person, it sounds reasonable. If he
just speculated this over the phone, it is possibly something else. The
contactor in the condenser is powered (24 volts) from the thermostat and
many contactors hum when energized. The electricity to the condenser
motor, which works through the contactor, may be off, or otherwise
compromised.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Burbank wrote:
Outside unit just hums, dunno what tune.

Put a call in, service tech says it's the capacitor. I seen Back to
the Future, and not about to fall for a scam.

Could it be the thermostat or low on freezone?

It's easy enough to check:
1. Flip breaker or otherwise remove power.
2. Open business side of compressor unit.
3. Find capacitor(s). They look like small aluminum cans with wire plugged
on.
4. Take picture of wires and mark on chassis.
5. Remove capacitor(s).
6. Take to Graingers and say "Gimme some like this" (about ten bucks).
7. Install new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 18:27:02 -0400, RBM wrote:

On 9/5/2011 5:45 PM, Tony Burbank wrote:
Outside unit just hums, dunno what tune.

Put a call in, service tech says it's the capacitor. I seen Back to the
Future, and not about to fall for a scam.

Could it be the thermostat or low on freezone?

If he made this determination in person, it sounds reasonable. If he
just speculated this over the phone, it is possibly something else. The
contactor in the condenser is powered (24 volts) from the thermostat and
many contactors hum when energized. The electricity to the condenser
motor, which works through the contactor, may be off, or otherwise
compromised.

A thousand things are possible - but of them, only one is probable.
Start with the capacitor, or hire someone to come in and make a
definitive diagnosis.Which will LIKELY be the capacitor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Got to be freezone. I can, uh, pick up on the harmonic
vibrations from here. Be sure he uses the purple stuff, it's
much better than the white or green stuff.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Burbank" wrote in message
Outside unit just hums, dunno what tune.

Put a call in, service tech says it's the capacitor. I seen
Back to the
Future, and not about to fall for a scam.

Could it be the thermostat or low on freezone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

See if the cap has farads?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

A thousand things are possible - but of them, only one is
probable.
Start with the capacitor, or hire someone to come in and
make a
definitive diagnosis.Which will LIKELY be the capacitor.

Instead of just throwing parts at it, how about first check
to see if
you have power to the unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Burbank wrote:

Outside unit just hums, dunno what tune.

Put a call in, service tech says it's the capacitor. I seen Back to the
Future, and not about to fall for a scam.

Could it be the thermostat or low on freezone?

Did the tech apply 1.21 jigawatts, as Doc Brown says it needs to work?