Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tree blowed over?

Due to a hurricane?

One tree whiz recommends cranking the tree back to its upright position and
guying it in place.

Most of the time it will recover. Pines are especially hardy.

Don't know if this works, but it shouldn't cost much to try...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2011 7:38 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Due to a hurricane?

One tree whiz recommends cranking the tree back to its upright position and
guying it in place.

Most of the time it will recover. Pines are especially hardy.

Don't know if this works, but it shouldn't cost much to try...

I don't know your whole situation but I wouldn't do it.
I understand pines are shallow rooted and tend to fall easily in wet
soil. They were talking about this on the radio yesterday saying that
winds that would normally not knock down a tree could do it to those
sitting in very wet ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 7:38*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Due to a hurricane?

One tree whiz recommends cranking the tree back to its upright position and
guying it in place.

Most of the time it will recover. Pines are especially hardy.

Don't know if this works, but it shouldn't cost much to try...

Pines are a dime a dozen. And ugly too. Why bother.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 8/29/2011 7:38 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Due to a hurricane?

One tree whiz recommends cranking the tree back to its upright position

and
guying it in place.

Most of the time it will recover. Pines are especially hardy.

Don't know if this works, but it shouldn't cost much to try...

I don't know your whole situation but I wouldn't do it.
I understand pines are shallow rooted and tend to fall easily in wet
soil. They were talking about this on the radio yesterday saying that
winds that would normally not knock down a tree could do it to those
sitting in very wet ground.

Didn't work with my apple tree which was sitting in very wet soil. Knocked
down by a windstorm, we upright it fairly easily with a winch and some
bracing. Took for a while, or so it seemed to but got knocked down again -
actually it just fell over - in an ice storm that came about six months
later. Just as well. They weren't eating apples. They were critter
magnets. Might have tried winching it again if it had produced something
edible.

--
Bobby G.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

I have an apple tree that leaned over over a long period, until it touched the
ground. I winched it up with a 1/2" nylon rope and a come-along, then left it
with the rope holding it up. It has been that way for probably 15 years at this
point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2011 6:19 PM, Bob F wrote:
Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Wish I could do that with the 80-plus foot something-or-other that has
been laying in my back yard since Memorial day. Sucker is still green,
with no more than 1/4 of the big roots still in the ground. But I can't
get my arms around the base of the trunk, and it has many large
branches, so I think it would take steel cable and a crane to stand it
up. Massive PITA to mow around, but the animals seem to like it a bunch.
My turn just came up on tree guy's list this week. With several thousand
trees down in metro area, they will be working until the ground freezes
and the snow flies, and playing catch-up next spring.

I have another one that is just leaning, with a bulge on one side and a
dip on the other, but it is still green too. Tree guy wants to take it
down, but I don't have the heart to kill it, and back yard would be way
too sunny without it. Pretty sure it won't crush anything when it falls,
so I'll probably just let nature take its course. I've seen trees that
leaned like that for a decade or more.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Aug 29, 7:10*am, Frank wrote:

I don't know your whole situation but I wouldn't do it.
I understand pines are shallow rooted and tend to fall easily in wet
soil. *

Maybe the type pines in your neighborhood but definitely not the pine
varieties around here. They are deep rooted and I have never seen one
go over from the roots, and that's an observation based upon many
hurricanes and tornadoes thru this area. Most often the top portion
will break off or twist off but they never blow over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 19:08:06 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

On Aug 29, 7:10*am, Frank wrote:

I don't know your whole situation but I wouldn't do it.
I understand pines are shallow rooted and tend to fall easily in wet
soil. *

Maybe the type pines in your neighborhood but definitely not the pine
varieties around here. They are deep rooted and I have never seen one
go over from the roots, and that's an observation based upon many
hurricanes and tornadoes thru this area. Most often the top portion
will break off or twist off but they never blow over.

The lobloly pine tap root is deep. Used to make turpentine in days
past. Might still be?

These trees will snap right where the woodpecker nest hole is made in
the tree. A big machine, dynamite or fire was the way to get the
stumps out of the ground :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Aug 29, 7:10*am, Frank wrote:

I don't know your whole situation but I wouldn't do it.
I understand pines are shallow rooted and tend to fall easily in wet
soil. *

Maybe the type pines in your neighborhood but definitely not the pine
varieties around here. They are deep rooted and I have never seen one
go over from the roots, and that's an observation based upon many
hurricanes and tornadoes thru this area. Most often the top portion
will break off or twist off but they never blow over.

The lobloly pine tap root is deep. Used to make turpentine in days
past. Might still be?

These trees will snap right where the woodpecker nest hole is made in
the tree. A big machine, dynamite or fire was the way to get the
stumps out of the ground :-/

Portion of the tap root -- surface roots removed already.

Pic:

http://www.duke.edu/~jspippen/work/setres090127-2910z.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2011 12:18 AM, RobertPatrick wrote:
wrote in
:

On 8/29/2011 7:38 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Due to a hurricane?

One tree whiz recommends cranking the tree back to its upright
position and guying it in place.

Most of the time it will recover. Pines are especially hardy.

Don't know if this works, but it shouldn't cost much to try...

I don't know your whole situation but I wouldn't do it.
I understand pines are shallow rooted and tend to fall easily in wet
soil. They were talking about this on the radio yesterday saying that
winds that would normally not knock down a tree could do it to those
sitting in very wet ground.

yup, it happened to 2 trees on my property. (not from a hurricane, just
high wind came swooping thru a few years ago).

I had 2 pines that shattered high, in separate storms 18 months apart
(one ice, and one wind). Both of them hit my shed, of course. Good thing
I just blacksmithed shed the first time instead of replacing- second
time smashed it beyond my skills to unwrinkle. A 3rd pine went down in
the second storm, more or less intact, with the root ball pulled out of
ground. It was old and sickly and in an inconvenient spot, so I didn't
even think of trying to save it. It broke a limb on the apple tree that
caught it.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
news
Due to a hurricane?

One tree whiz recommends cranking the tree back to its upright
position and guying it in place.

Most of the time it will recover. Pines are especially hardy.

Don't know if this works, but it shouldn't cost much to try...

How bout Enzyte?

Is Enzyte the mayonnaise substitute for people who are having trouble with
their bladder? Or is it the rudimentary 3D-modeling machine for cookie
dough?

I forget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Aug 29, 7:10 am, Frank wrote:

[...]

Wow! That pretty much says it all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/29/11 7:25 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 8/29/2011 6:19 PM, Bob F wrote:
Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

What if it crushes a person when it falls?

A couple of decades ago, when my oldest was still in diapers, I was in
my neighbor's yard. His kid was using the slide and I had mine in one of
those old fashioned, PITA to get the kid in and out of, rubber child
swings. The "bucket style" that wrapped around the kid with holes for
the legs.

Our wife's called us in for lunch so I struggled to get my kid out of
the swing as his legs got caught like they always did. I went into the
house, handed my son to my wife and walked over to the kitchen sink to
wash my hands. As I was looking out of the window, a huge branch from
the house next door came crashing down and turned the swing set into
kindling.

There was no way there would have been enough time between the sound of
the crack and crushing of the swing set for me to have gotten my son out
of the swing.