Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Tree blowed over?

Oren wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:32:28 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 19:08:06 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

On Aug 29, 7:10 am, Frank wrote:

I don't know your whole situation but I wouldn't do it.
I understand pines are shallow rooted and tend to fall easily in
wet soil.

Maybe the type pines in your neighborhood but definitely not the
pine varieties around here. They are deep rooted and I have never
seen one go over from the roots, and that's an observation based
upon many hurricanes and tornadoes thru this area. Most often the
top portion will break off or twist off but they never blow over.

The lobloly pine tap root is deep. Used to make turpentine in days
past. Might still be?

These trees will snap right where the woodpecker nest hole is made in
the tree. A big machine, dynamite or fire was the way to get the
stumps out of the ground :-/

Portion of the tap root -- surface roots removed already.

Pic:

http://www.duke.edu/~jspippen/work/setres090127-2910z.jpg

Wow! That pretty much says it all.