Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Can I buy these?

When I junked my old car two weeks ago, I forgot to remove two parts
when I removed the hitch.

The guy I sold the car to was going to part it and then sell it to the
crusher, and he probably still has the car and the parts, but if I can
just buy them, it would be easier.

They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The
head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.

What do I call such a thing if I'm trying to buy a couple, and do you
think they are sold separately?

Thanks a lot.

(This is a class I hitch, attached to the car in four places. I have
the hitch and 3 drawbars, and would like to be able to give or sell a
complete hitch..)

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 12:40*pm, micky wrote:
[...]

Call a place that installs hitches. Uhaul comes to mind.

Hank
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/24/2011 11:40 AM, micky wrote:

They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The
head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.

What do I call such a thing if I'm trying to buy a couple, and do you
think they are sold separately?

Undoubtedly they were punched specifically for the size of (I presume)
tube; it'll be unlikely you'll find them as a separate part unless the
hitch vendor can supply them. If that is so, you'll probably think it's
better to go retrieve them than pay the asking price I'd expect...

Of course, making one isn't any problem for any machine shop w/ a punch
or a guy at home who's fairly adept w/ a torch (or, better yet, here's
the excuse you've been waiting for for that plasma cutter ). Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Oh, other thought...you likely can find a round washer w/ the hole for
the carriage bolt (or a plow bolt) and then just grind two flats down to
get the width on the outside.

If you're not going to reuse the hitch, I'd probably just let the new
owner deal with it...

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
When I junked my old car two weeks ago, I forgot to remove two parts
when I removed the hitch.

The guy I sold the car to was going to part it and then sell it to the
crusher, and he probably still has the car and the parts, but if I can
just buy them, it would be easier.

They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The
head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.

What do I call such a thing if I'm trying to buy a couple, and do you
think they are sold separately?

Thanks a lot.

(This is a class I hitch, attached to the car in four places. I have
the hitch and 3 drawbars, and would like to be able to give or sell a
complete hitch..)

Check with a trailer supply or hitch installer. I bet they have them.

Steve

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"micky" wrote in message

They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The
head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.

Kind of like these? 2" x 1" x 7/32" with a 9/16" square hole? These are left
over from a Reese
multi-fit Class 3 receiver hitch, model 37042

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...4/IMG_0236.jpg

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:40:47 -0500, "SRN" wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .

They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The
head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.

Kind of like these? 2" x 1" x 7/32" with a 9/16" square hole? These are left
over from a Reese
multi-fit Class 3 receiver hitch, model 37042

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...4/IMG_0236.jpg

Yes! Exactly like those!!
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/24/2011 10:35 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In , wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

Most DIY'ers don't have the punch...

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

--

I was referring to Harry Watt's gizmos, but then most DIYers don't have
those, either.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/25/2011 9:31 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

I was referring to Harry Watt's gizmos, but then most DIYers don't have
those, either.

Doesn't mean anything to me....

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:35:44 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In , wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

With that right-handed paint stirrer ??

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

On 8/25/2011 9:31 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

I was referring to Harry Watt's gizmos, but then most DIYers don't have
those, either.

Doesn't mean anything to me....

--

Oh, well, you're welcome to google for "drill square hole" if you're
curious.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise...tting_mortises

--
Paul Hovnanian
Dedicated to the unrestricted propagation of worthless

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
hls hls is offline

eb.com...

In article , dpb wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Honestly, a friend of mine DID make a spotted paint. It held together
during
storage, and sprayed or brushed on. He thought he would make a bunch of
money
on it but never did.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Go ahead, guys...burst my bubble...

http://www.rustoleumaerosols.co.uk/a...aume9qj3ne4340
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:55:53 -0500, "hls" wrote:

web.com...

In article , dpb wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Honestly, a friend of mine DID make a spotted paint. It held together
during
storage, and sprayed or brushed on. He thought he would make a bunch of
money
on it but never did.

Were the spots round?
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2011 8:55 AM, hls wrote:

eb.com...

In article , dpb wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Honestly, a friend of mine DID make a spotted paint. It held together
during
storage, and sprayed or brushed on. He thought he would make a bunch of
money
on it but never did.

Auto trunk interiors have been or were painted with it for years. :-)

TDD
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In , wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Go ahead, guys...burst my bubble...

http://www.rustoleumaerosols.co.uk/a...aume9qj3ne4340

fyi, when you post links like that, anything after the "?" can be
deleted.
http://www.rustoleumaerosols.co.uk/aerosol/images/products/AE0070004E8.jpg
works just fine and doesn't contain the encrypted tracer that connects
back to any browsing habits database of you and your now linked
"associates" who also clicked it.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

[...]

find someone who knows a cutting torch and whip a couple out in 5 min.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2011 11:37 AM, micky wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:55:53 -0500, wrote:

eb.com...

In , wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Honestly, a friend of mine DID make a spotted paint. It held together
during
storage, and sprayed or brushed on. He thought he would make a bunch of
money
on it but never did.

Were the spots round?

What? Nobody makes plaid paint?

(tip of the hat to the old Warner Brothers (I think) cartoon from the
40s, where they had a pseudo-science teacher going over the special
abilities of various animals. they showed a chameleon happily changing
to match various backgrounds, and then they shoved a swatch of plaid
behind him, and he lost it. more hilarious to see than read about.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In , wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Go ahead, guys...burst my bubble...

http://www.rustoleumaerosols.co.uk/a...aume9qj3ne4340

fyi, when you post links like that, anything after the "?" can be
deleted.
http://www.rustoleumaerosols.co.uk/aerosol/images/products/AE0070004E8.jpg
works just fine and doesn't contain the encrypted tracer that connects
back to any browsing habits database of you and your now linked
"associates" who also clicked it.

Thanks, jim! tucked away for future reference!

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:41:18 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 8/26/2011 8:55 AM, hls wrote:

eb.com...

In article , dpb wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Honestly, a friend of mine DID make a spotted paint. It held together
during
storage, and sprayed or brushed on. He thought he would make a bunch of
money
on it but never did.

Auto trunk interiors have been or were painted with it for years. :-)

TDD

I think Krylon used to sell it but I couldn't find it. They also sell
"hammered" finish paint!

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:11:52 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 8/26/2011 11:37 AM, micky wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:55:53 -0500, wrote:

eb.com...

In , wrote:

[...]

What's worse, I remember that!

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/26/2011 11:37 AM, micky wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:55:53 -0500, wrote:

eb.com...

In , wrote:

[...]

I saw that cartoon. It is a good one. They don't make cartoons like
that anymore.

Plus, they use so few frames, one can notice that they are separate
frames. I would think with computers to help them, they could go
back to the number of fpm that Warner Bros. etc. used.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
hls hls is offline

No, they were not.. The paint looked exactly the way those
spatter painted trunk surfaces looked in that era.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
hls hls is offline

"Hachiroku" wrote in message news:4e57ac2f$0$26199 Go
ahead, guys...burst my bubble...

http://www.rustoleumaerosols.co.uk/a...aume9qj3ne4340

No bubble to burst.. There are a lot of "discoveries" that never make a
nickel.

My friend was tied to a particular supplier, without which his paint could
not be
made. He ended up with a line of tempura paints for kids.. Still didint
make any
money.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:58:16 -0500, Hachiroku wrote:

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:41:18 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 8/26/2011 8:55 AM, hls wrote:

eb.com...

In article , dpb wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Honestly, a friend of mine DID make a spotted paint. It held together
during
storage, and sprayed or brushed on. He thought he would make a bunch of
money
on it but never did.

Auto trunk interiors have been or were painted with it for years. :-)

TDD

I think Krylon used to sell it but I couldn't find it. They also sell
"hammered" finish paint!

And "crackle" finish, though I haven't seen it for some time.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2011 5:32 PM, hls wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message Were the spots round?

No, they were not.. The paint looked exactly the way those spatter
painted trunk surfaces looked in that era.

Not that it matters in this case, but watch your attributions, please. I
did not write the above.

--
aem sends...
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:02:42 -0400, willshak wrote:

wrote the following:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:58:16 -0500, Hachiroku wrote:

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:41:18 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

eb.com...

In article , dpb wrote:

Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...
Why not just drill a square hole?

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Honestly, a friend of mine DID make a spotted paint. It held together
during
storage, and sprayed or brushed on. He thought he would make a bunch of
money
on it but never did.
Auto trunk interiors have been or were painted with it for years. :-)

TDD

I think Krylon used to sell it but I couldn't find it. They also sell
"hammered" finish paint!

And "crackle" finish, though I haven't seen it for some time.

Wasn't crackle a two part finish?

Not unless there were two parts in the same can.

A first coat with one paint and the second, the crackle coat, with
another paint.
The second coat dried faster than the first which caused it to crackle
when the first coat dried, or was it the opposite? I forgot.

The stuff I used was probably the same idea, though it came in one can.