Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Forced Air/Return air filters Advice please...

I have a 120 000 btu mid effcient furnance, mid 90s. Also a central air
tied into this as well.

The original return air filter box is an old electro-air electronic filter
that no longer works. The electric contacts are burnt out on the housing
and the cartigages. I'm debating about having to replace this with a new
electric filter or a paper type filter using those 4" wide filters. Right
now I cannot adapt any current paper filters into this old housing because
it's 3/8" shorter than modern housings and the filter get crushed or distorted
when inserted.

The one main criteria is I have two big dogs in the house.

Anyone got any advice? Thankee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 12:53:50 +0000 (UTC), The Henchman
wrote:

I have a 120 000 btu mid effcient furnance, mid 90s. Also a central air
tied into this as well.

The original return air filter box is an old electro-air electronic filter
that no longer works. The electric contacts are burnt out on the housing
and the cartigages. I'm debating about having to replace this with a new
electric filter or a paper type filter using those 4" wide filters. Right
now I cannot adapt any current paper filters into this old housing because
it's 3/8" shorter than modern housings and the filter get crushed or distorted
when inserted.

The one main criteria is I have two big dogs in the house.

Anyone got any advice? Thankee.

I have used these for [20?] years and have been real happy with them.
I replaced the furnace a couple years ago so I had to buy new ones to
fit- but there was another 20 years in the old set. I like to have
2 so I can just swap one out and wash & dry the dirty one at my
leisure.

They are about $70 each-- but do a better job than any paper filter
I've ever seen- and they last forever. . . really.
http://www.riteair.com/p-13-boair-5-stage.aspx

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

If you can't find filters that will fit then it would seem you're
going to
have to swap out the whole electronic air cleaner assembly. That
could be easy or a PIA. It all depends on if you can find one with
the correct dimensions to mate back up with the furnace and
duct. If you can, it's simple to do.

Remaining choice is whether to go with another electrostatic one
or with a media type. Either are available online. The media ones
can be had for $150-200. Electrostatic are about 3X that. Also
factor in that the media filters are not cheap, they go for about
$35-45 or so. Also, with the media type, you need to decide
what MERV rating you want. While it's tempting to go with
the highest MERV, look at the airflow specs. The higher
MERV will offer more resistance, all other things being equal.
Depending on the current flow and blower, you don't want to
offer too much backpressure or you could burn out the
blower

I recently went with the media type. But then
I don't have the dogs and only need to replace hopefully once
a year. But I may need to replace more often. I previousy
just had the cheap 1" type and they did not get dirty very fast.
However the media trap more, so waiting to see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A furnace service company should be able to take out the
electronic filter, and put in Spaceguard, or similar device,
with a super thick pleated filter.

Or, retrofit for a standard 1 inch thick filter, and you can
use high efficiency pleated filters.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Henchman" wrote in message

I have a 120 000 btu mid effcient furnance, mid 90s. Also a
central air
tied into this as well.

The original return air filter box is an old electro-air
electronic filter
that no longer works. The electric contacts are burnt out
on the housing
and the cartigages. I'm debating about having to replace
this with a new
electric filter or a paper type filter using those 4" wide
filters. Right
now I cannot adapt any current paper filters into this old
housing because
it's 3/8" shorter than modern housings and the filter get
crushed or distorted
when inserted.

The one main criteria is I have two big dogs in the house.

Anyone got any advice? Thankee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Henchman wrote:

I have a 120 000 btu mid effcient furnance, mid 90s. Also a central air
tied into this as well.

The original return air filter box is an old electro-air electronic
filter that no longer works. The electric contacts are burnt out on the
housing and the cartigages. I'm debating about having to replace this
with a new electric filter or a paper type filter using those 4" wide
filters. Right now I cannot adapt any current paper filters into this
old housing because it's 3/8" shorter than modern housings and the
filter get crushed or distorted when inserted.

The one main criteria is I have two big dogs in the house.

Anyone got any advice? Thankee.

Hi,
In my case I had the EAC power supply fixed and had to get one element.
One was still good.You can try www.honeywellparts.com