Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paving Driveway: Minimum Outside Temp's. ?

Hello,

Live outside of Boston,

For a typical home complete driveway re-do, can the hot asphalt be put
down in the Fall season O.K. ?

Or, should it be done only in the hot summer months.

Paving Contractor says they do it thru late Nov. !

Any minimum outside temp's involved for a "good" job" to be done ?

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 7:56*am, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Live outside of Boston,

For a typical home complete driveway re-do, can the hot asphalt be put
down in the Fall season O.K. ?

Or, should it be done only in the hot summer months.

Paving Contractor says they do it thru late Nov. !

Any minimum outside temp's involved for a "good" job" to be done ?

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

Late Nov sounds OK to me. You certainly see plenty of
road construction going on in those temps that also use
the same FABC material. The plants that sell it would be
in a lot of trouble if they were filling trucks up with material
that could not be applied successfully when it left the plant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

Live outside of Boston,

For a typical home complete driveway re-do, can the hot asphalt be put
down in the Fall season O.K. ?

Or, should it be done only in the hot summer months.

Paving Contractor says they do it thru late Nov. !

Any minimum outside temp's involved for a "good" job" to be done ?

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

I've always bee told, the hotter the better, but I've seen jobs done in
pretty cool weather. The asphalt plant usually close about Dec 1 in thie
area. Some states even have a date where road construction must stop.

More important that the temperature is a reliable reputable contractor that
won't either put too thin a coating or use material that is too cool. I've
hear stories about one in particular that fills his trucks on a Saturday and
cover them with a tarp so he can work on Sunday when the plants are closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 07:56:58 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Live outside of Boston,

For a typical home complete driveway re-do, can the hot asphalt be put
down in the Fall season O.K. ?

Or, should it be done only in the hot summer months.

Paving Contractor says they do it thru late Nov. !

Any minimum outside temp's involved for a "good" job" to be done ?

Thoughts on ?

I would think it might go down fine-- but I'd be concerned about how
cured' it might be when the first snow flies & you need to scrape it
off with a truck.

Not as big a concern with a snowblower- but I'd ask him about it. What
about salt in case you get a 1" ice storm for thanksgiving?

How good is his guarantee?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Bob typed:
Hello,

Live outside of Boston,

For a typical home complete driveway re-do, can the hot
asphalt be put down in the Fall season O.K. ?

Or, should it be done only in the hot summer months.

Paving Contractor says they do it thru late Nov. !

Any minimum outside temp's involved for a "good" job" to
be done ?
Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

Wow: That depends on so many factors and you've given so little iniformation
your only hope is to call the contractors and ask them in your area. Here
you're going to get opinions about NY, Maine, Ca, Tx, Fl, and gosh knows
where else. Also, keep in mind that "asphalt is not asphalt" in a way
similar to grades of gasoliine are not the same octane ratings. The
materials are mixed for the area/temps they're gonig to be used in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Twayne" wrote:

[...]

It seems to me he already spoke with the paving contractor in his area.
Why he's hiring a contractor that he doesn't trust is the real question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2011 2:02 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

In ,
[...]

I'm no expert, but isn't the temp more of an issue with the substrate
prep, more than with the asphalt laying itself? Hard to roll and tamp
half-frozen mud, gravel, and sand, etc. I'd still be leery of asphalt
going down when ground is frozen, for obvious frost heave issues, but as
long as the machinery they are using can keep the asphalt pliable enough
to work, does the cool-down rate really affect it that much? I mean, not
like it ever really gets solid like concrete anyway.

I'll note that I HAVE seen them lay hot asphalt patches in dead of
winter, like for a water main break on a major road where cold patch was
out of the question. 3 guys with torches that looked like giant
versions of what roofers use, were going back and forth on the edges of
the old cut asphalt, presumably so the patch would bond enough to last
till spring. All in all, it looked like a miserable day for those fellows.

But having said all that- some years, winter comes late, even as far
north as here in MI. I have had to mow in November, the year after I was
shoveling snow in October. If you happen to get a nice stretch of
weather, say a week or so, paving in Nov does not sound totally
implausible. A good paving company won't do work they think they will
get callbacks on. What did your other bidders say?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote the following:
Hello,

Live outside of Boston,

For a typical home complete driveway re-do, can the hot asphalt be put
down in the Fall season O.K. ?

Or, should it be done only in the hot summer months.

Paving Contractor says they do it thru late Nov. !

Any minimum outside temp's involved for a "good" job" to be done ?

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

Here's a thought. Call your local highway department and ask them the
latest time of year they do any paving.
Here in the NE, at least, asphalt companies shut down for the winter, so
you can assume it will be sometime before that date.
You're not going to get the kind of traffic in your driveway as the
roads get.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Driveway Paving Bob[_44_] Home Repair 8 July 21st 11 06:34 PM
Driveway Paving Questions Bob[_44_] Home Repair 5 July 16th 11 04:24 AM
Paving one side of a driveway DA Home Repair 5 September 5th 07 02:38 AM
Re-Paving A Driveway Questions Robert11 Home Repair 1 September 1st 06 05:35 PM
Driveway Paving Randy Bishop Home Repair 1 March 29th 05 08:14 AM