Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driveway Paving

Hello,

Before I start getting Congtractors in, would like to ask all of you
experts: For a typical home driveway re-do:

What should the depth of the gravel beneath the asphalt that the
Contractor should/will put down be ?

What depth of Asphalt on top would make a good job ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2011 10:31 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Before I start getting Congtractors in, would like to ask all of you
experts: For a typical home driveway re-do:

What should the depth of the gravel beneath the asphalt that the
Contractor should/will put down be ?

What depth of Asphalt on top would make a good job ?

Thanks,
B.

I'm no expert but had mine repaved this spring.
Contractor only removed parts of old asphalt that were badly cracked and
might read through new paving. He only added a little gravel to those
spots, about equivalent to asphalt removed. I did have it widened by 2
feet but don't recall depth of gravel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote the following:
Hello,

Before I start getting Congtractors in, would like to ask all of you
experts: For a typical home driveway re-do:

Humorous pedant response follows.
Viet Cong tractors?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

Before I start getting Congtractors in, would like to ask all of you
experts: For a typical home driveway re-do:

What should the depth of the gravel beneath the asphalt that the
Contractor should/will put down be ?

What depth of Asphalt on top would make a good job ?

Thanks,
B.

I'm not so sure about the base, but I've hear of anywhere from 4" to 12".
Depends on the soil too.

As for the coating, it is generally a 2" thick coarse basecoat and a finer
2" top coat.

Be sure the contractor specifies what he is to put down and be sure to take
a peek as he is putting it down. You can get away with less, but it will
start to show wear in a few years, especially if you have heavy traffic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 10:31*am, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Before I start getting Congtractors in, would like to ask all of you
experts: For a typical home driveway re-do:

What should the depth of the gravel beneath the asphalt that the
Contractor should/will put down be ?

What depth of Asphalt on top would make a good job ?

Thanks,
B.

It also depends heavily on where you live (winter? hot summer? water
table?) and what kind of base you have underneath (clay? sand? ledge?
bedrock?)

A good local contractor will know the area and take a look at your
particular place and figure it out. Get a couple of contractors and
look at the ones that agree on prep.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 19, 9:31*am, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Before I start getting Congtractors in, would like to ask all of you
experts: For a typical home driveway re-do:

What should the depth of the gravel beneath the asphalt that the
Contractor should/will put down be ?

What depth of Asphalt on top would make a good job ?

Thanks,
B.

Why not ask your County Engineer what the spec is for lesser used
roads? Probably a driveway wold be pretty durable at some fraction of
that, say 80%. He may also have useful comments about substrate
preparation, like what size and depth of gravel in your area would
provide the ideal drainage.
In any event, you will need permits for the project, and there may
also be specs required to be attached to that request. Its much easier
if you get to right the first time out.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote
In any event, you will need permits for the project, and there may
also be specs required to be attached to that request. Its much easier
if you get to right the first time out.

Joe

You meant to say "permits MAY be needed" For a re-do, many towns do not
require a permit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 20, 9:43*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Joe" wrote

In any event, you will need permits for the project, and there may
also be specs required to be attached to that request. Its much easier
if you get to right the first time out.

Joe

You meant to say "permits MAY be needed" *For a re-do, many towns do not
require a permit.

Mea culpa, Ed. That should have read 'permits may be needed'. In our
village, the permit bar is down to $500 on most projects, so it pays
to check.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:43:31 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote
In any event, you will need permits for the project, and there may
also be specs required to be attached to that request. Its much easier
if you get to right the first time out.

Joe

You meant to say "permits MAY be needed" For a re-do, many towns do not
require a permit.

As long as you do not make it wider, or significantly change the
grade, permits are seldom required. Widen it more than 6 inches and
you MAY have an issue.