Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driveway Paving

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

Before I start getting Congtractors in, would like to ask all of you
experts: For a typical home driveway re-do:

What should the depth of the gravel beneath the asphalt that the
Contractor should/will put down be ?

What depth of Asphalt on top would make a good job ?

Thanks,
B.

I'm not so sure about the base, but I've hear of anywhere from 4" to 12".
Depends on the soil too.

As for the coating, it is generally a 2" thick coarse basecoat and a finer
2" top coat.

Be sure the contractor specifies what he is to put down and be sure to take
a peek as he is putting it down. You can get away with less, but it will
start to show wear in a few years, especially if you have heavy traffic.