Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

Default Paving one side of a driveway

Hello all,

I know it's a stupid problem to deal with but wonder if someone can offer
some insight on what might be the implication of paving only one half of
an approx. 20 ft wide 40 ft long driveway. The neighbour does not want to
pave his side and mine is pretty badly deteriorated due to its being lower
and water pooling on it after heavy rain.
Aside from looking just silly, is there a potential downside to paving ony
one side of a driveway?
Thanks!
\//.
-------------------------------------

News and Discussions Community of the Net
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/4/2007 10:47 AM DA said the following:
Hello all,

I know it's a stupid problem to deal with but wonder if someone can offer
some insight on what might be the implication of paving only one half of
an approx. 20 ft wide 40 ft long driveway. The neighbour does not want to
pave his side and mine is pretty badly deteriorated due to its being lower
and water pooling on it after heavy rain.
Aside from looking just silly, is there a potential downside to paving ony
one side of a driveway?
Thanks!

I don't think that it would look silly. I've seen it done and it shows
that the paved portion is yours.

I hate shared driveways. Do you know how many neighbor disputes are over
shared driveways? I don't have a count, but I used to have to respond to
them.
Someone parked over the line a little, or even too close to the line, or
unknowing guests parking on the wrong side, or one mowing their lawn and
the clippings blowing over their driveway half. Even so far as newsboys
throwing the newspaper on the wrong side.
Admittedly, these people are a little over-possessive or nuts.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

The neighbour does not want to
pave his side and mine is pretty badly deteriorated due to its being lower
and water pooling on it after heavy rain.

When you pave, you cause the water to go "someplace else" rathern than much
of it just soaking into your driveway.

If you don't want excessive "neighbor trouble" in the future, ensure that
your paving slops to "your side" that than you don't cause the runoff to
damage his property.

As a matter of practicality, the paved portion would have to be 100% on your
side of the line. If he ever comes around and paves his "half" he will
likely (but not necessarily) "fill the gap."

Personally, I'm not a fan of paving driveways. The same things you do to
create a good base for the paving will often "fix" the conditions than made
you want to pave it in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair
FMB FMB is offline

"DA" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I know it's a stupid problem to deal with but wonder if someone can offer
some insight on what might be the implication of paving only one half of
an approx. 20 ft wide 40 ft long driveway. The neighbour does not want to
pave his side and mine is pretty badly deteriorated due to its being lower
and water pooling on it after heavy rain.
Aside from looking just silly, is there a potential downside to paving ony
one side of a driveway?
Thanks!
\//.

I'm sure your neighbor will appreciate your new 10' wide driveway and may
use it when his side gets bad. But if only your side was bad to begin with,
then repairing your side is the right thing to do.

FMB
(North Mexico)

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:
Hello all,

I know it's a stupid problem to deal with but wonder if someone can offer
some insight on what might be the implication of paving only one half of
an approx. 20 ft wide 40 ft long driveway. The neighbour does not want to
pave his side and mine is pretty badly deteriorated due to its being lower
and water pooling on it after heavy rain.
Aside from looking just silly, is there a potential downside to paving ony
one side of a driveway?
Thanks!
\//.
-------------------------------------

I can think of a couple of issues arising from bad experiences with
neighbors.....either you repave your side and it causes damage to his
side, or he repaves his side later and damages your side. I would be
extra careful that your contractor does not drive heavy machinery on his
side. Apparently you have discussed it with the neighbor.....his side
is in better shape? If his side is not in good shape, does he have a
plan for resurfacing his side? If possible, perhaps temp. repair to
your side until his is ready and you can do the whole thing together?
It would be ideal to do it together, if possible, just to maintain good
relations with the neighbor.

It may be a long-shot, but try getting bids for doing it both ways ..
just your side and separate bid for the whole thing. If the differance
is minor, you could give him a "gift" and do the whole thing, but only
with his written permission. You would have to be very careful in
getting very specific bid as to what is done, material, etc.

If his side is in bad enough shape, the city code might enable citing
him and require repair, but that is a pretty unwelcome way to proceed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ay-247233-.htm
:
Norminn wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your suggestions!

I guess, it is more of a human relation thing than an asphalt properties
matter here. From what I gather the freshly paved side (mine) is not going
to suffer but my already so-so relationships with the neighbor might.

I am actually gathering these suggestions to try to persuade him to
actually do the entire thing. I have already priced the whole thing and it
was quoted $1400 to me (not sure if it was a good price or not) but he did
not like the idea of having to pay $700. That said though, he did not get
out and get his own quote either simply because, like I said, his side is
OK. Not in the best of shapes (and obviously, same age as mine which is
pushing 20 years soon) but better looking because there were never any
water damage on his side. So he's not feeling any urge to repair it
anytime soon.

Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to approach this as
a social rather than civil engineering project. :-)

Thanks!
\//.