Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Measurements for retrofit windows

Hi all! I'm hoping to get some advice about measuring for retrofit
windows... I decided to have a handyman install my windows to save some
money over the big box stores. That means I have to measure the windows
and purchase them myself, and I'm on the hook if anything goes wrong with
the measurements.

My handyman told me that I should be measuring the window from the inside
and adding 1/2 inch to both the width and the height. At first he told me
to subtract 1/4 inch, but then he said that trim would have to be added on
the outside, and adding 1/2 inch instead would give a better-looking
result. The thing is, everything I've read says that 1/4-1/2 inch should
be subtracted from the measurements to make sure the windows fit, and that
you're in big trouble if you get windows that are too big.

So, is this guy crazy?? Is it okay to have retrofit windows that are 1/2
inch larger than the inside opening? (Sorry if I'm using incorrect terms
here - I'm not too knowledgeable about windows.)

Thanks for any advice. I've already ordered windows that are 1/2 inch
larger than the inside measurements, so please save me if I'm about to
waste a lot of money!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If you already ordered them, it's a little late to be asking now, isn't
it?
I would have asked the manufacturer the proper way to measure your
openings.
I think they would know more than the handyman

Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ws-645518-.htm
mday83 wrote:
Hmm, not really, because I have until this afternoon to cancel the order
if I need to. This isn't an uncorrectable mistake, otherwise I wouldn't be
posting here for advice...

ChairMan wrote:

[...]

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

mday83 wrote:
Hmm, not really, because I have until this afternoon to cancel the order
if I need to. This isn't an uncorrectable mistake, otherwise I wouldn't be
posting here for advice...

Cancel them now. Ask them how to measure.

ChairMan wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

mday83 wrote:
Hmm, not really, because I have until this afternoon to cancel the
order if I need to. This isn't an uncorrectable mistake, otherwise I
wouldn't be posting here for advice...

Cancel them now. Ask them how to measure.

I agree. First cancel the order. Tell them you need to re-measure the
windows and that you will place the order again after doing that.

I belong to a real estate investor group and I participate in what they call
a "subgroup" on doing rehabs -- which of course means installing replacement
windows, etc. One of the big rules of thumb that they talk about is when
doing jobs like replacement windows, kitchen cabinets, countertops, etc.,
ALWAYS have the person who is going to do the work do their own measurements
and place the order for the materials (even if you are the one who will be
paying for the materials directly).

It makes sense. It is way too easy to have a miscommunication about the
measurements if you do the measuring and someone else does the install.

If the handyman you plan on using has done other replacement windows and
knows what he is doing, he should have no problem coming out to your house
first and doing the measurements himself. Paying him to do the measurement
shouldn't cost more than an hour or two of his time at most.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 17:25:22 -0400, "RogerT"
wrote:

If the handyman you plan on using has done other replacement windows and
knows what he is doing, he should have no problem coming out to your house
first and doing the measurements himself.

Ask Handy Dandy how many levels he owns! One clue for a decent window
installer
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

mday83 wrote:

[...]

I think you're already wasting money - paying a store for windows, then
paying a handyman too.

Especially by ordering too-large windows that won't fit any of your
openings (Unless he told you to measure between stops and add that
1/2").

You buy your own windows for a DIY project only. You get installed
windows if that's what you need.

There must be a local outfit who can sell you installed windows for less
than you're paying - AND they guarantee the fit too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mday83 wrote:
[...]

Play it safe and do one first. Are they all the same? The way I had to do
it was rip the outside trim off two of different heights. Got to see what
your dealing with, stud spacing is what I was after, and height cross
members. You either give actual space, or actual window size.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hire the window installer with the best reputation, not the cheapest.

Improperly installed windows leak around the edges and the water drips down into your walls.
Ten years later you've got a wall full of rotten wood and or mold.
Now you're looking at thousands of dollars to repair the walls.

And whatever you do, don't hire those phucktards that sub for Lowes Depot.