Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Measurements for retrofit windows

Tony Miklos wrote:
On 8/12/2011 2:09 PM, mday83 wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ws-645518-.htm
mday83 wrote:
Hmm, not really, because I have until this afternoon to cancel the
order if I need to. This isn't an uncorrectable mistake, otherwise I
wouldn't be posting here for advice...

Cancel them now. Ask them how to measure.

I agree. First cancel the order. Tell them you need to re-measure the
windows and that you will place the order again after doing that.

I belong to a real estate investor group and I participate in what they call
a "subgroup" on doing rehabs -- which of course means installing replacement
windows, etc. One of the big rules of thumb that they talk about is when
doing jobs like replacement windows, kitchen cabinets, countertops, etc.,
ALWAYS have the person who is going to do the work do their own measurements
and place the order for the materials (even if you are the one who will be
paying for the materials directly).

It makes sense. It is way too easy to have a miscommunication about the
measurements if you do the measuring and someone else does the install.

If the handyman you plan on using has done other replacement windows and
knows what he is doing, he should have no problem coming out to your house
first and doing the measurements himself. Paying him to do the measurement
shouldn't cost more than an hour or two of his time at most.

Good luck.