Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I have a few bids and I have decided who I want to use

How do I find out if they do good work? I found him by looking
handymen in the local shopper. The guy I have been talking to is very
knowledgeable, but I know he is not the one that is going to do the
work.

I am having the front of my house torn off. That is a little
exaggeration, but I am replacing the front step and the front double
door. The step is poured concrete that was not properly done the
first time. Erosion has caused it to crack and sink towards the door
causing the stoop to rot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 19:49:49 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

How do I find out if they do good work?

What difference could that make now?!
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

How do I find out if they do good work? I found him by
looking handymen in the local shopper.

BBB? (Better Business Bureau)

See if he's got a listing with your local BBB.

See if he'll give you some REAL contact info - something more than a
cell-phone number or e-mail address. Business or home address and
land-line phone number for a start.

Does he do paper contracts? Has he given you a quote on paper?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
How do I find out if they do good work? I found him by looking
handymen in the local shopper. The guy I have been talking to is very
knowledgeable, but I know he is not the one that is going to do the
work.

I am having the front of my house torn off. That is a little
exaggeration, but I am replacing the front step and the front double
door. The step is poured concrete that was not properly done the
first time. Erosion has caused it to crack and sink towards the door
causing the stoop to rot.

Ask to see a couple of jobs that he has done in the past two years. Go look
and ask the homeowners. Word of mouth is far more important than the
biggest ad in the Yellow Pages.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...

How do I find out if they do good work? I found him by
looking handymen in the local shopper.

BBB? (Better Business Bureau)

The BBB simply records negative information, i.e. lists
complaints and lawsuits against contractors or vendors.
It does not collect information about satisfied customers.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Home Guy" wrote in message

How do I find out if they do good work? I found him by
looking handymen in the local shopper.

BBB? (Better Business Bureau)

The BBB simply records negative information, i.e. lists
complaints and lawsuits against contractors or vendors.
It does not collect information about satisfied customers.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

BBB has been having its own problem with ethics. The higher the membership
fee, the better the rating potential.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
How do I find out if they do good work? I found him by looking
handymen in the local shopper. The guy I have been talking to is very
knowledgeable, but I know he is not the one that is going to do the
work.

I am having the front of my house torn off. That is a little
exaggeration, but I am replacing the front step and the front double
door. The step is poured concrete that was not properly done the
first time. Erosion has caused it to crack and sink towards the door
causing the stoop to rot.

Ask him for references and check them out. I'd ask what specifically he did
and if it seems appropriate, ask to see the work. If he has a business
name, check him out with the BBB. They aren't a guarantee, even if he looks
OK, but if there are lots of complaints, that's a red flag.

The work you need done isn't rocket science, but it's also prime for
problems, eg leaks, cracking, settling, if it's not done correctly. Ask him
for proof of insurance. Make sure the contract spells out exactly what he's
going to do and don't give him any more money upfront or along the way than
reasonable and necessary. You don't want him to be ahead of you when it
comes to $$. That's when they find it more atttractive to start another job
instead of finishing yours.

Also consider asking about and taking out any permits. For example,
probably better to pay $150 for a permit and have the building inspector
check that footings are properly poured that to let him do it with no checks