Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good phillips driver bit

"notbob" wrote in message ...

I'd gladly pay $5-10 for a single bit that would last longer than a
hundred screws before it's useless garbage and I gotta reach for new
one like it was consumable sandpaper.

Oddly enough a Snap-On 1/4" Phillips bit is ten bucks.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-18, DGDevin wrote:

wouldn't pay shipping and I'd know I was getting the genuine article.

Define genuine.

Snap-On doesn't manufacture all their own tools. A lot of their line
is rebranded from other manufacturers. Granted, SO does sell some
very fine tools, some of the best, but they also sell some seriously
cheap junk. I've had the displeasure of buying one item from SO that
broke in my hand on first use.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote in message ...

wouldn't pay shipping and I'd know I was getting the genuine article.

Define genuine.

Snap-On doesn't manufacture all their own tools. A lot of their line
is rebranded from other manufacturers. Granted, SO does sell some
very fine tools, some of the best, but they also sell some seriously
cheap junk. I've had the displeasure of buying one item from SO that
broke in my hand on first use.

I assumed they had various manufacturers make some of their stuff, but I'm
surprised to hear they're selling low-quality tools under their flagship
name. What sort of experience did you have getting the broken tool
replaced?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-07-18, DGDevin wrote:

name. What sort of experience did you have getting the broken tool
replaced?

Didn't bother. The first one was so cheaply made, a second one would
have been just as bad. Plus, I'd only snagged the truck at a single
location. I didn't have an active acct at the time.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote in message ...

name. What sort of experience did you have getting the broken tool
replaced?

Didn't bother. The first one was so cheaply made, a second one would
have been just as bad. Plus, I'd only snagged the truck at a single
location. I didn't have an active acct at the time.

What I've done in similar situations (with different companies) is tell them
I don't want a replacement since it will probably be just as bad, but if
they want to keep me as a customer than credit towards something else will
keep me happy. That's how I ended up with a German-made Forstner bit to
replace a piece of crap made in China. The German one hasn't even thought
about getting dull yet.