Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do with CFLs?

Mail 'em to your Congresscritter.

http://christopherfountain.com/2011/07/15/fire-away/

But after Senator Daschel's brush with Anthrax, I think it's probably
against some federal law to be mailing hazardous stuff to a federal
official.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/16/11 11:54 am, HeyBub wrote:

Mail 'em to your Congresscritter.

http://christopherfountain.com/2011/07/15/fire-away/

But after Senator Daschel's brush with Anthrax, I think it's probably
against some federal law to be mailing hazardous stuff to a federal
official.

The procedure for dealing with broken CFLs is simple:

http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

and probably the same for the fluorescent tubes we've been using for
decades.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/16/11 11:54 am, HeyBub wrote:

Mail 'em to your Congresscritter.

http://christopherfountain.com/2011/07/15/fire-away/

But after Senator Daschel's brush with Anthrax, I think it's probably
against some federal law to be mailing hazardous stuff to a federal
official.

The procedure for dealing with broken CFLs is simple:

http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

and probably the same for the fluorescent tubes we've been using for
decades.

Perce

I just immerse my old cfl's in the used motor oil I throw in the trash.
That was the mercury can't escape. Occasionally, I'll seal them in old
paint, also trashed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Mail 'em to your Congresscritter.

Given that our local hardware store collects them for proper disposal for
free, why would I want to mail them anywhere?

I got a kick out of reading how the bill than bans 100w bulbs was partly
written by a Republican member of Congress who was all in favor of the
energy savings back then, but now says he's opposed to the law (and not
because his party told him he's now opposed to the law, no way). I suppose
that's similar to all the times Republicans voted to raise the debt ceiling
during the Bush administration, but just recently realized how bad an idea
it is to raise the debt ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Mail 'em to your Congresscritter.

Given that our local hardware store collects them for proper disposal
for free, why would I want to mail them anywhere?

I got a kick out of reading how the bill than bans 100w bulbs was
partly written by a Republican member of Congress who was all in
favor of the energy savings back then, but now says he's opposed to
the law (and not because his party told him he's now opposed to the
law, no way). I suppose that's similar to all the times Republicans
voted to raise the debt ceiling during the Bush administration, but
just recently realized how bad an idea it is to raise the debt
ceiling.

Your history lesson does demonstrate that Republicans, among none others,
can be influenced by the facts.

For example, just this past Thursday or Friday, the Republican House passed
a bill canceling the incandescent bulb phase-out. What the Democrat Senate
or Democrat President does with the bill remains to be determined.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Your history lesson does demonstrate that Republicans, among none others,
can be influenced by the facts.

Actually what it demonstrates is that Republicans these days will reverse
course purely for political expediency, that all they care about is damaging
the current administration any way they can with no regard for whether their
actions are good or bad for the nation.1

Which the Dems do as often and as well. That is one of the things I
look forward to when Congress or the Presidency changes hands. All of a
sudden you shouldn't make up funny names for the President (even though
the income group did mercilessly when the shoe was on the other foot),
increase the debt ceiling is a needed policy decision instead of a
failure of leadership, etc.

1Another fine example--In 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 the four GOP
leaders--Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, Senate
Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl--voted to
raise the debt ceiling every time they were asked (with the sole except of
Kyl in 2002). Of course that was with a Republican in the White House. Now
that there is a Democrat in the White House, they have suddenly decided
raising the debt ceiling cannot be contemplated without massive spending
cuts which they didn't demand of the Bush administration when it repeatedly
asked them to raise the debt ceiling.

And teh dems (actually Obama himself when he had the chance) voted
against them. O's famous (infamous) statement about needing to raise the
debt ceiling showed a failure in leadership... or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Klipstein wrote:

For example, just this past Thursday or Friday, the Republican House
passed a bill canceling the incandescent bulb phase-out. What the
Democrat Senate or Democrat President does with the bill remains to
be determined.

The repeal actually failed, despite getting a majority vote in the
House of Representatives.

The failure was due to being short of 2/3 majority necessary for
special rules that were invoked.

Exactly. The vote was 233-193 to kill the ban. But then....

"An amendment proposed by Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Lewisville, to cut funding
for enforcement of a 2007 law that will take cheap, traditional incandescent
light bulbs off the market next year was tacked onto an appropriations bill
for energy and water. The appropriations bill passed the House by a 219-196
vote on Friday."
http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.c...t-bulb-st.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Your history lesson does demonstrate that Republicans, among none
others, can be influenced by the facts.

Actually what it demonstrates is that Republicans these days will
reverse course purely for political expediency, that all they care
about is damaging the current administration any way they can with no
regard for whether their actions are good or bad for the nation.

You say that like you think it's a bad thing.

If Pres. Obama discovered a cure for cancer I would expect to see the
Republican leadership call a press conference to lament that the
Pres. had failed to cure heart disease.

Yes. Absolutely wasteful. The Republicans ALREADY have a cure for cancer:
Cutting taxes.

That solution also works for bee-bites and bubble baths.

Two q's about CFLs Higgs Boson[_2_] Home Repair 7 December 27th 10 10:15 PM
3-way CFLs? Nate Nagel Home Repair 20 September 20th 10 07:28 AM
CFLs Dave UK diy 7 August 12th 09 09:25 AM
CFLs....again No Name Home Repair 14 May 13th 09 12:05 PM
CFLs Home Repair 1 January 15th 07 06:22 AM