Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding a generator.

My sister lives in an area where the power goes out frequently. She
has asked me more than once to "just" come out and add a plug for her
so she can use a generator to keep her food from going bad. This is
never going to happen. Not so much because I would not do it for her,
it is more because after the first season or two of no maintenance on
her generator, it would not crank anyway. I know this from listening
to the kids complain about the four wheelers not working or the
lawnmower is "broke"

If I were to set her up with a generator, I think I would add a lock
out switch to her existing panel. This way, she could use anything in
her house. The only bad thing about doing this would be if she could
not use self control and try to overload the circuit. Having the
breaker trip a few times might give her the message.

When the power goes off, just turn the breakers off to the bedrooms
and huddle in the den with TV and gas heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

A dirt-cheap, no-brain, zero-maintenance refrigerator backup plan for
power outages is a few bags of ice in the freezer. Stick them in the
fridge when the power is out and you've got an icebox that will last for
days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:11:24 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

I have suggested that to her. Use a cooler for sandwich meat/milk
and leave the door to the fridge shut.

She lives in Alabama so it doesn't get really cold, but suggested that
she try to put a couple of those cooler ice packs outside and see if
they refreeze. (winter time outages, of course)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:25:38 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:11:24 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

If she has a source for Dry Ice when the power goes out, it will last
for days. I use it when traveling with seafood. Never lost any from
spoilage or had any thaw out. Caution handling it as it will burn you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2011 1:56 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

My generator plugs into a transfer panel which controls freezers,
refrigerator, well and furnace, few lights and TV. Since not everything
runs or turns on at once, the generator can handle everything it is
connected to. It does not include big ticket items like electric range,
microwave, air conditioner or electric hot water heater.

If all your sister needs is to control refrigerator, a small generator
plugged into an extension cord would do. It is a PITA to make sure
gasoline is fresh and run every now and then to make sure lines are
clean and it works. My wife and I are getting older and I doubt if she
could handle it herself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:11:24 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

Well I certainly learned something. They have electricity in Alabama
:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 1:56*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

I start my generator on the first weekend of every month and let it
run for five or ten minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a case for one of the relatively inexpensive nat/lp gas
fueled automatic backup generator packages. Automatic transfer switch
for the loads it can handle, automatic exerciser, nat/lp fuel so no
gasoline going stale, etc. If you can make sure it gets an oil change
each year with good synthetic oil it should do just fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2011 2:48 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:11:24 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

[...]

Watch it there boy, we even have flush toilets and indoor plumbing here
in Alabamastan. We even have rotary dial telephones. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 20:26:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 7/15/2011 2:48 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:11:24 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

[...]

Everything's up to date in Birmingham City?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/15/2011 2:48 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:11:24 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

[...]

Believe it or not Birmingham is to telecommunications like Atlanta is to
transportation. Here in the Southeast, Birmingham is a hub for voice
and data routing. A lot of folks don't know that about our stereotypical
backwards state and that's the way we like it. It keeps a lot of those
Damn Yankees from coming down here but once they come here, we can't get
them to go home, dammit. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't see any kind of question you asked. However, I do
think that sounds good. The self starting natural gas
generator is good, also. The natural gas generator would be
a lot more easy to use. But, would cost a bit more.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/15/2011 2:48 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:11:24 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

[...]

Give me 10 years. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/16/2011 9:05 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 03:45:09 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:

On 7/15/2011 2:48 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:11:24 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

[...]

How about some grits with butter and honey? Turnip greens, black eyed
peas, cornbread and fried chicken? :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reminds me of the scene where Chevy Chase is eating the
biggest plate of "lamb fries" and breaks the town record.

I guess this thread is no longer about home generators?
Oops, sorry!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

Damn Yankees from coming down here but once they come
here, we can't get
them to go home, dammit. :-)

Give me 10 years. ;-)

How about some grits with butter and honey? Turnip greens,
black eyed
peas, cornbread and fried chicken? :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 14:53:25 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 7/17/2011 12:12 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 03:06:51 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 7/16/2011 9:05 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 03:45:09 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:

On 7/15/2011 2:48 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:11:24 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

[...]

Pass the chicken and feed the slop to the pig.

SLOP?!! What you callin' slop boy, them's good vittles! :-)

The pig'll appreciate it, then. Later, I'll appreciate the pig so that slop
won't go entirely to waste. ;-)

Hardware 3 phase generator from sed - 3 phase generator.asc John Fields Electronic Schematics 6 August 17th 11 01:49 PM
Adding air stryped[_3_] Home Repair 53 April 17th 10 08:34 AM
adding a 110 to a 220? [email protected] Home Repair 9 May 12th 07 12:31 AM
Adding a bathroom JASON Home Repair 5 April 5th 06 01:41 PM
Adding a muffler to a cheap generator David Courtney Metalworking 31 August 15th 03 02:19 PM