Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adding a 110 to a 220?

hi,
I need to pull a 220 line for an air conditioner and I also needed a
110 line for a light that's 5 feet away from it
all the walls are finished and it's an old house with the plaster and
lath walls.
I was wondering if i can make a splice at the 220 outlet and take the
110 from there
because the panel box is far,(about 40 ft)away.
can someone please help me?
thanks in advance,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 6:46�pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
hi,
*I need to pull a 220 line for an air conditioner and I also needed a
110 line for a light that's 5 feet away from it
all the walls are finished and it's an old house with the plaster and
lath walls.
I was wondering if i can make a splice at the 220 outlet and take the
110 from there
because the panel box is far,(about 40 ft)away.
can someone please help me?
thanks in advance,

Sounds like a bad idea to me, simply because the A/C will probably be
30A (or more!) so you will have to maintain the wire size required by
the breaker for everything connected to it. *I'd just pull two separate
cables and be done with it. *40' of 14/2 is not that expensive.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

run 2 seperate cables, or use a close by supply for the light.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
hi,
I need to pull a 220 line for an air conditioner and I also needed a
110 line for a light that's 5 feet away from it
all the walls are finished and it's an old house with the plaster and
lath walls.
I was wondering if i can make a splice at the 220 outlet and take the
110 from there
because the panel box is far,(about 40 ft)away.
can someone please help me?
thanks in advance,

You did not provide much information for anyone to give you precise
instructions. Where is the electrical panel in relation to the air
conditioner? Is the panel in the basement and the A/C on the second floor?
Will the light be wall mounted or on the ceiling? Will the light have a
wall switch?

Some older houses were built using balloon framing which allows a clear
passage through the walls from the basement to the attic. Try pushing a
fishtape up the wall from the basement to confirm this. There could be a
brick or masonry firestop at the bottom, but you may be able to sneak past
it. If it is not a concern another possibility is to run conduit up the
outside of the house.

There was a detailed posting/discussion about cutting into wood lathe and
plaster walls for electrical boxes in this newsgroup a few months ago. It
provided good information and I recommend that you do a search to find it.

Connecting a 110 volt circuit off of a 220 A/C circuit is not an acceptable
practice. Even if it was the light would dim every time the compressor
kicked in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Every fall, when we turn off the breaker for the AC, the light
goes dead. Honey, what's going on? Can't you fix that?"

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
: hi,
: I need to pull a 220 line for an air conditioner and I also
needed a
: 110 line for a light that's 5 feet away from it
: all the walls are finished and it's an old house with the
plaster and
: lath walls.
: I was wondering if i can make a splice at the 220 outlet and
take the
: 110 from there
: because the panel box is far,(about 40 ft)away.
: can someone please help me?
: thanks in advance,
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 8 May 2007 22:02:45 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

"Every fall, when we turn off the breaker for the AC, the light
goes dead. Honey, what's going on? Can't you fix that?"

Yikes. Should I be turning off the breaker for the AC!
Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On May 7, 6:39 pm, wrote:
hi,
I need to pull a 220 line for an air conditioner and I also needed a
110 line for a light that's 5 feet away from it
all the walls are finished and it's an old house with the plaster and
lath walls.
I was wondering if i can make a splice at the 220 outlet and take the
110 from there
because the panel box is far,(about 40 ft)away.
can someone please help me?
thanks in advance,

the a/c wont have a nuetral, and its just a hokey hook up you should
just pull another wire

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 11:02 pm, sym wrote:
On May 7, 6:39 pm, wrote:

hi,
I need to pull a 220 line for an air conditioner and I also needed a
110 line for a light that's 5 feet away from it
all the walls are finished and it's an old house with the plaster and
lath walls.
I was wondering if i can make a splice at the 220 outlet and take the
110 from there
because the panel box is far,(about 40 ft)away.
can someone please help me?
thanks in advance,

the a/c wont have a nuetral, and its just a hokey hook up you should
just pull another wire

first of all, the ac will have power all i got to do to achieve that
is to use 12-3,
and second, my whole point of asking was not to have to pull another
wire.
but thanks for your time anyways,
good luck next time,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 4:39 pm, wrote:
hi,
I need to pull a 220 line for an air conditioner and I also needed a
110 line for a light that's 5 feet away from it
all the walls are finished and it's an old house with the plaster and
lath walls.
I was wondering if i can make a splice at the 220 outlet and take the
110 from there
because the panel box is far,(about 40 ft)away.
can someone please help me?
thanks in advance,

You should not try and splice the line. The best thing to do is to
run the 220 to the AC and the 110 to the light separately from the
power box in your house. Pay attention to your amperage ratings too
so you don't run a 30 amp line on 14 gauge wire.