Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tools needed

From the online manual for a GE gas stove about 20 years old.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED
.. Phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers
.. Pencil and ruler
.. Two pipe wrenches (one for backup)
.. Open-end or adjustable wrench
.. Nut drivers or wrenches: 3/16?? and 1/4??

Why do you need a backup pipe wrench? Is one going to break? Fall in
the hole?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 06:37:35 -0400, micky
wrote:

From the online manual for a GE gas stove about 20 years old.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED
. Phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers
. Pencil and ruler
. Two pipe wrenches (one for backup)
. Open-end or adjustable wrench
. Nut drivers or wrenches: 3/16?? and 1/4??

Why do you need a backup pipe wrench? Is one going to break? Fall in
the hole?

That *could* happen--- but I suspect the second wrench is to hold the
other side of the joint from turning. I 'backup' a term for that?
I've never heard it-- but I've only played plumber in my own houses
for the last 40 years.

Another time a second pipe wrench was handy was when I put a pipe
wrench on the pipe-- then tightened a fitting above it with a crescent
wrench. The pipe wrench was jammed so tight against the wall I
needed another pipe wrench to ease the pressure off just a RCH to get
my first wrench back. I suppose 'backup' could be used in that
instance.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
From the online manual for a GE gas stove about 20 years old.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED
. Phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers
. Pencil and ruler
. Two pipe wrenches (one for backup)
. Open-end or adjustable wrench
. Nut drivers or wrenches: 3/16?? and 1/4??

Why do you need a backup pipe wrench? Is one going to break? Fall in
the hole?

The second is to hold the fitting while tightening the other half. You
don't want to stress the existing connection. This is a common practice
when doing certain aspects of piping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 6:51*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 06:37:35 -0400, micky
wrote:

From the online manual for a GE gas stove about 20 years old.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED *
. Phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers
. Pencil and ruler
. Two pipe wrenches (one for backup)
. Open-end or adjustable wrench
. Nut drivers or wrenches: 3/16?? and 1/4??

Why do you need a backup pipe wrench? *Is one going to break? *Fall in
the hole?

That *could* happen--- but I suspect the second wrench is to hold the
other side of the joint from turning. * * I 'backup' a term for that?
I've never heard it-- but I've only played plumber in my own houses
for the last 40 years.

Backup wrench is the correct term. I've seen it used many times
in similar install instructions.

Another time a second pipe wrench was handy was when I put a pipe
wrench on the pipe-- then tightened a fitting above it with a crescent
wrench. * *The pipe wrench was jammed so tight against the wall I
needed another pipe wrench to ease the pressure off just a RCH to get
my first wrench back. * *I suppose 'backup' could be used in that
instance.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2011 6:37 AM, micky wrote:
From the online manual for a GE gas stove about 20 years old.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED
. Phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers
. Pencil and ruler
. Two pipe wrenches (one for backup)
. Open-end or adjustable wrench
. Nut drivers or wrenches: 3/16?? and 1/4??

Why do you need a backup pipe wrench? Is one going to break? Fall in
the hole?

Typically you use a second backup wrench with the jaws pointing opposite
so torque isn't transmitted into a more fragile item such as a valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/10/2011 06:51 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 06:37:35 -0400,
wrote:

From the online manual for a GE gas stove about 20 years old.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED
. Phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers
. Pencil and ruler
. Two pipe wrenches (one for backup)
. Open-end or adjustable wrench
. Nut drivers or wrenches: 3/16?? and 1/4??

Why do you need a backup pipe wrench? Is one going to break? Fall in
the hole?

That *could* happen--- but I suspect the second wrench is to hold the
other side of the joint from turning. I 'backup' a term for that?
I've never heard it-- but I've only played plumber in my own houses
for the last 40 years.

yup, and I imagine that's exactly what it's for.

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

When cranking on a fitting, it's necessary to use two
wrenches. One, either side of the fitting. That way, the
force is applied only to the joint you're servicing.

Using one wrench puts torque and stress on other joints.
Which can cause other joints to leak.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"micky" wrote in message
From the online manual for a GE gas stove about 20 years
old.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED
.. Phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers
.. Pencil and ruler
.. Two pipe wrenches (one for backup)
.. Open-end or adjustable wrench
.. Nut drivers or wrenches: 3/16?? and 1/4??

Why do you need a backup pipe wrench? Is one going to
break? Fall in
the hole?

Tools you didn't know you needed Leon Fisk Metalworking 55 December 15th 07 10:50 PM
Old Precision Tools... Help needed! Fred Fowler III Metalworking 6 August 25th 07 06:34 PM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Info on tools, plans and supplier needed [email protected] Metalworking 1 August 18th 04 11:08 PM
ADVICE NEEDED ON TURNING TOOLS [email protected] Woodturning 20 September 23rd 03 06:52 AM