Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default tools needed

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 06:37:35 -0400, micky
wrote:

From the online manual for a GE gas stove about 20 years old.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED
. Phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers
. Pencil and ruler
. Two pipe wrenches (one for backup)
. Open-end or adjustable wrench
. Nut drivers or wrenches: 3/16?? and 1/4??

Why do you need a backup pipe wrench? Is one going to break? Fall in
the hole?

That *could* happen--- but I suspect the second wrench is to hold the
other side of the joint from turning. I 'backup' a term for that?
I've never heard it-- but I've only played plumber in my own houses
for the last 40 years.

Another time a second pipe wrench was handy was when I put a pipe
wrench on the pipe-- then tightened a fitting above it with a crescent
wrench. The pipe wrench was jammed so tight against the wall I
needed another pipe wrench to ease the pressure off just a RCH to get
my first wrench back. I suppose 'backup' could be used in that
instance.

Jim