Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kill lichen/moss on roof

What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 10:34*am, woger151 wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

dont use bleach anything it will harm your shingles......

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 2, 9:34*am, woger151 wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

Zinc of some sort has been used for years. Google it.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/2011 3:41 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:34 am, wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

Zinc of some sort has been used for years. Google it.

Joe

Zinc sulfate monohydrate, to be specific. Iron works well for moss in my
lawn, but I've never tried it on my roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
RosemontCrest wrote:

On 7/2/2011 3:41 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:34 am, wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

Zinc of some sort has been used for years. Google it.

Joe

Zinc sulfate monohydrate, to be specific. Iron works well for moss in my
lawn, but I've never tried it on my roof.

You iron your moss? Do you use the linen setting? Steam?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 15:41:34 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Jul 2, 9:34*am, woger151 wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

Zinc of some sort has been used for years. Google it.

Copper works too. Often a copper wire is laid gable to gable on either side
of the peak. As you point out, zinc is also used, in strips, along or near the
peak. Zinc is cheaper than copper but, IFAIK, not as effective (requires more
area surfaced in zinc).

http://www.z-stop.com/article.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/2011 11:25 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On 7/2/2011 3:41 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:34 am, wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

Zinc of some sort has been used for years. Google it.

Joe

Zinc sulfate monohydrate, to be specific. Iron works well for moss in my
lawn, but I've never tried it on my roof.

You iron your moss? Do you use the linen setting? Steam?

Moss is fuzzy like wool, so I use the wool setting. No steam though;
that harms what little grass is actually there.