DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kill lichen/moss on roof (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/325443-kill-lichen-moss-roof.html)

woger151 July 2nd 11 03:34 PM

Kill lichen/moss on roof

What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

bob haller July 2nd 11 05:06 PM

Kill lichen/moss on roof

On Jul 2, 10:34*am, woger151 wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

dont use bleach anything it will harm your shingles......

Joe July 2nd 11 11:41 PM

Kill lichen/moss on roof

On Jul 2, 9:34*am, woger151 wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

Zinc of some sort has been used for years. Google it.

Joe

RosemontCrest July 3rd 11 03:46 AM

Kill lichen/moss on roof

On 7/2/2011 3:41 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:34 am, wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

Zinc of some sort has been used for years. Google it.

Joe

Zinc sulfate monohydrate, to be specific. Iron works well for moss in my
lawn, but I've never tried it on my roof.

Smitty Two July 3rd 11 07:25 AM

Kill lichen/moss on roof

In article ,
RosemontCrest wrote:

On 7/2/2011 3:41 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:34 am, wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

Zinc of some sort has been used for years. Google it.

Joe

Zinc sulfate monohydrate, to be specific. Iron works well for moss in my
lawn, but I've never tried it on my roof.

You iron your moss? Do you use the linen setting? Steam?

[email protected] July 3rd 11 05:35 PM

Kill lichen/moss on roof

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 15:41:34 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Jul 2, 9:34*am, woger151 wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

Zinc of some sort has been used for years. Google it.

Copper works too. Often a copper wire is laid gable to gable on either side
of the peak. As you point out, zinc is also used, in strips, along or near the
peak. Zinc is cheaper than copper but, IFAIK, not as effective (requires more
area surfaced in zinc).

http://www.z-stop.com/article.htm

RosemontCrest July 3rd 11 07:10 PM

Kill lichen/moss on roof

On 7/2/2011 11:25 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On 7/2/2011 3:41 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:34 am, wrote:
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof?

I've seen recs for
(1) household bleach
(2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is)
(3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such
products)

Zinc of some sort has been used for years. Google it.

Joe

Zinc sulfate monohydrate, to be specific. Iron works well for moss in my
lawn, but I've never tried it on my roof.

You iron your moss? Do you use the linen setting? Steam?

Moss is fuzzy like wool, so I use the wool setting. No steam though;
that harms what little grass is actually there.