Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clothes Dryer Woes

I have a KitchenAid electric clothes dryer, Type I with the lint
screen on the top of the dryer. Model number keys750Jq1 if anyone
cares.

A few days ago, I pressed the start button and it did not tumble.

When I pressed on, it made the usual clicking noise and made the usual
"sound it makes," minus the turning of the drum.

Tried to get it to go a few more times by twisting the timer to zero
and then to time, turning off and on the circuit breaker, etc. It
would click on and rumble, but no turning.

I then tried to turn drum. It was near impossible. I finally got it
to turn. Tried again with the switches, no luck.

Took off the front. The idler pulley was missing the plastic wheel
(nowhere to be seen) and the belt was slightly chewed. Bought a new
idler pully and new belt.

Tried to turn the metal motor shaft that the belt loops around. The
motor shaft turned easily.

Put in new idler pulley and belt and put it back together.

Drum turned fine. Turned on machine. Clicked on again, but drum does
not turn. Turns easily enough if I turn from the inside of dryer.

I am thinking it might be some sort of switch in the control panel.
This is an old analog dryer. Any thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Makes me wonder if the motor overloaded, and burnt out. Did
you check for continuity?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"tim birr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"tim birr" wrote in message
news:d3d833dc-bf90-4933-aa4d- Drum turned fine. Turned on machine. Clicked
on again, but drum does
not turn. Turns easily enough if I turn from the inside of dryer.

I am thinking it might be some sort of switch in the control panel.
This is an old analog dryer. Any thoughts?

So when you "click it on" does the motor start and run or not?????? You're
not being clear.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:39:17 -0700 (PDT), tim birr
wrote:

[...]

Are you certain you have the belt routed correctly? When I did mine I
found that to be a bit confusing but I located a diagram of the
correct routing online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

OP Again:

Sorry, I have been posting via Google groups for the past several
years, and around the first of July, it all went crazy. I was not able
to access group for several days and gave up. Google, huh...

So, I finally bought a new multi-tester (my old one was a cheapo Sears
analog dating back to about 1979. Tested my little heart out. Motor
was burnt-out.

Bought a new Maytag. Works like a dream (there is a sub-story about
cleaning the dryer vent in here that is a story from hell, but won't
go into that in this thread).

Clothes dryer taking too long to dry clothes. [email protected] Home Repair 19 March 25th 09 04:44 PM
Tumble dryer woes Graham Jones[_2_] UK diy 12 November 26th 08 04:24 PM
clothes dryer not hot badgolferman Home Repair 24 February 12th 07 08:52 PM
G E dryer woes M&D Home Repair 1 January 8th 06 08:53 PM
GE clothes dryer not hot [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 20th 05 12:38 AM