Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting cash at ATM

Dunno if this is considered OT. Let's say you're getting money to pay
for home repair g

Here is a heads-up from David Horowitz, in the new Costco magazine.

"When sliding your card into the ATM, wiggle the card slot to make
sure it is secure. (????)

This tests for "skimming" devices that can steal your card's unique
data.

On most ATMs, a bright or flashing light will indicate that the card
has been properly inserted and is secure. **

Only after the light flashes should you proceed.

When entering your PIN, cover the keypad to block prying eyes or
cameras."

I'm assuming that Horowitz, who is a legit consumer advocate, and
Costco, would not print alarmist garbazhe.

** I never noticed a flashing light at ATM. Am I just unobservant, or
is this not always the case?

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 9:14*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I too have NEVER seen a flashing light at a ATM
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:14:05 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Dunno if this is considered OT. Let's say you're getting money to pay
for home repair g

Here is a heads-up from David Horowitz, in the new Costco magazine.

"When sliding your card into the ATM, wiggle the card slot to make
sure it is secure. (????)

This tests for "skimming" devices that can steal your card's unique
data.

On most ATMs, a bright or flashing light will indicate that the card
has been properly inserted and is secure. **

Only after the light flashes should you proceed.

When entering your PIN, cover the keypad to block prying eyes or
cameras."

I'm assuming that Horowitz, who is a legit consumer advocate, and
Costco, would not print alarmist garbazhe.

Yes, hard to believe. What would either of them get out of it anyhow?

** I never noticed a flashing light at ATM. Am I just unobservant, or
is this not always the case?

I've never seen one. I use Bank of America, though I cna't recommend
them. I charge things at stores, but I don't use other cash machines.

Here it is again,
http://www.fightback.com/2011/05/pro...ty-at-the-atm/ but
I think fightback is his website.

And here it is on Costco's site
http://www.costcoconnection.com/conn...107?pg=16#pg16

But I haven't found much else.

Changed search terms from ATMs, a bright or flashing light

to ATM flashing light

and got
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cri...d-you-kno.html

Excerpts:
Rockville police said the device is €śidentical€ť to one discovered Feb.
28 at an Alexandria Wachovia branch in the 3600 block of King Street.
At least $60,000 was removed from accounts at that bank, Alexandria
police have said.

But not all ATMs are alike, so sometimes the tipoff will be the exact
opposite and the scammers will have attached a skimming device to the
front of the ATM that blocks lights on machines where they are
normally visible.

===And it shows a picture of a green light surrounding the slot,
which they say obscures the red light meant to protect you.

Many customers, he said, have a routine of using the same two or three
machines and get a feel for how they appear even if they could not
describe them fully.

Does your usual machine have flashing lights? Sit flush in the wall or
extend out? Is the slot loose in the wall? Is a wire visible? Does the
PIN keypad normally have buttons with colors for €śenter€ť and other
prompts or keys that all are the same color? Is there or isnt there
usually a box -- with envelopes for deposits, for example -- mounted
on a wall close to the screen and keypad?

Velline said most customers do have an instinct for when something is
awry even if they cannot put their finger on exactly what looks
suspicious to them. Trust that instinct and notify a branch manager
when something at the ATM appears odd, he said.

Does this crime happen only at banks?
No. It has occurred at gas pumps and other retail (point of sale)
machines where you swipe a card and use a PIN.

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I've seen flashing lights on ATM's but I never knew (or even
considered) that they were to tell me that the card was "properly
inserted and is secure".

I've seen ATM's with flashing green lights shaped like an "wide
arrow" - \/ - pointing at the slot.

I never considered it to be anything more than an attention getting
device but I also don't recall whether it looks any different before
or after I insert my card.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

I've seen ATM's with flashing green lights shaped like an "wide
arrow" - \/ - pointing at the slot.

Reminds me of a girl I dated once . . . . . . . .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2011 8:14 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

never had an occasion to use an ATM. Don't see the need.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:37:03 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote

I've seen ATM's with flashing green lights shaped like an "wide
arrow" - \/ - pointing at the slot.

Reminds me of a girl I dated once . . . . . . . .

She had a green - \/ - when she flashed you? Ew!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

never had an occasion to use an ATM. Don't see the need.

Me either. If I'm going to need walking around money, I get cash back when I
deposit my check.

Beats me why some insist on getting $20 out of an ATM every day (and often
pay for the privilege).

Still, one has to be careful. I stepped up to the teller at my local bank,
who shall not be named (Chase) and asked to change a $20 into two rolls of
quarters for the toll road. The teller wanted my debit card(?).

When I got my bank statement, those terrible people had charged me fifty
cents for the transaction! For a depositor! And they wouldn't give it back!

The next month I fired that ****in' bank and took my personal business, and
that of the corporation I own, elsewhere.

All over a piddly fifty cents (and the $15/month service fee that I had not
been paying for 22 years at that bank).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Steve Barker wrote:

[...]

Banks are a rip-off. My accounts are with a credit union and they don't
charge to use other credit union ATMs, which are plentiful in my area.

I also have direct deposit from my employer. Therefore, seeing cash is a
rarity unless I draw from the ATM or do direct business with the credit
union. Many major expenses are purchased with my credit card but using a CC
for small change is, IMO, asinine. As a final note, online banking is heaven
and thus, increasing the rarity of seeing cash. Therefore, the need for ATM
is warranted.

To each his own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:11:27 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

never had an occasion to use an ATM. Don't see the need.

Me either. If I'm going to need walking around money, I get cash back when I
deposit my check.

"Depost your check". What's that? I don't believe I've deposited a paycheck
in almost 40 years. My current employer just went to EFT payroll only. My
previous employer did it fifteen years ago. Our "bank" (CU) is a thousand
miles away. We do have one locally, mainly because of our mortgage but also
because SWMBO works there. ;-)

Beats me why some insist on getting $20 out of an ATM every day (and often
pay for the privilege).

I hit the ATM once a week. The one I use doesn't charge our CU (some sort of
internetwork agreement).

Still, one has to be careful. I stepped up to the teller at my local bank,
who shall not be named (Chase) and asked to change a $20 into two rolls of
quarters for the toll road. The teller wanted my debit card(?).

Strange. I've had a teller ask if I had an account there before they'd change
bills (wanted a few Franklins).

When I got my bank statement, those terrible people had charged me fifty
cents for the transaction! For a depositor! And they wouldn't give it back!

The next month I fired that ****in' bank and took my personal business, and
that of the corporation I own, elsewhere.

I guess so! Personal accounts should be in CUs, IMO. Banks are for
businesses. Big banks are for big businesses.

All over a piddly fifty cents (and the $15/month service fee that I had not
been paying for 22 years at that bank).

Is anyone blaming you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:37:03 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote

I've seen ATM's with flashing green lights shaped like an "wide
arrow" - \/ - pointing at the slot.

Reminds me of a girl I dated once . . . . . . . .

She had a green - \/ - when she flashed you? Ew!

I think those flashing LEDS are to foil the installation of skimmers that
crooks use to get your bankcard data.
it's readily apparent if the LEDs are blocked by a skimmer covering the
card slot..

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:
...snipped...
never had an occasion to use an ATM. Don't see the need.

Too bad you don't feel the same way about usenet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:
...snipped...
never had an occasion to use an ATM. Don't see the need.

Too bad you don't feel the same way about usenet...

Aw, it's not the same. The only reaction I get from a new teller when I say
I want a cashier's check denominated in Euros and I want to pay for it with
Canadian dollars, is weeping, not pithy rejoinders.

That's no fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:57:15 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:
...snipped...
never had an occasion to use an ATM. Don't see the need.

Too bad you don't feel the same way about usenet...

Aw, it's not the same. The only reaction I get from a new teller when I say
I want a cashier's check denominated in Euros and I want to pay for it with
Canadian dollars, is weeping, not pithy rejoinders.

No problem. Canadian to U$ (plus commission) then U$ to EUR (plus
commission). Price in US, convert to Canadian (plus commission). Pay up wise
guy! ;-)

That's no fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2011 6:03 PM, SBH wrote:
wrote in message
m...
Steve Barker wrote:

[...]

ever time i run my discover card through the slot at walmart (three or
four times a week) it asks me if i want cash.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2011 10:36 PM, Larry W wrote:
...snipped...

**** off

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 1:27*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

I like having cash in my pocket for various reasons.

- The kids need/want some cash for some reason or another
- We're buying subs for lunch at work
- Chipping in for a gift or donation
- etc.

That said, when I'm short on pocket cash I typically get "cash back"
when I use my debit card to pruchase something.

However, there are times when I find myself with little or no cash but
no need to go to the store. That's when the drive-through ATMs come in
handy.

I also use drive though ATM's on the rare occasions that someone gives
me a check (a rebate, a gift from Mom, healthcare reimbursement, etc)
and I need to deposit it.

If I've used a teller more than a couple of times in the past few
years I'd be surprised.

Many years ago, back in the early 70's, I worked for one of the first
banks (not *the* first one, but close) that had an ATM - a Chase
Manhattan branch in Queens, NY.

It could only be loaded with brand new bills since the early
dispensers couldn't handle old, soft currency. It was also only opened
during branch hours since it was inside the main lobby of a stately
old building that was locked when the branch was closed.

I just checked Google street view. The bank is now a Duane Reade
drugstore, the pub across the street where I used eat lunch is now a
bakery and a news stand and the entire neighborhood is covered in
signs with Oriental writing on them - not that there's anythng wrong
with that.

*CASH*CASH*CASH* NeoTycoon UK diy 2 January 20th 05 11:39 AM
*CASH*CASH*CASH* NeoTycoon Woodworking 0 January 16th 05 06:51 AM