Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Getting cash at ATM

On Jun 26, 1:27*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/24/2011 8:14 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Dunno if this is considered OT. *Let's say you're getting money to pay
for home repairg

Here is a heads-up from David Horowitz, in the new Costco magazine.

"When sliding your card into the ATM, wiggle the card slot to make
sure it is secure. * (????)

This tests for "skimming" devices that can steal your card's unique
data.

On most ATMs, a bright or flashing light will indicate that the card
has been properly inserted and is secure. **

Only after the light flashes should you proceed.

When entering your PIN, cover the keypad to block prying eyes or
cameras."

I'm assuming that Horowitz, who is a legit consumer advocate, and
Costco, would not print alarmist garbazhe.

** I never noticed a flashing light at ATM. *Am I just unobservant, or
is this not always the case?

TIA

HB

never had an occasion to use an ATM. *Don't see the need.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

I like having cash in my pocket for various reasons.

- The kids need/want some cash for some reason or another
- We're buying subs for lunch at work
- Chipping in for a gift or donation
- etc.

That said, when I'm short on pocket cash I typically get "cash back"
when I use my debit card to pruchase something.

However, there are times when I find myself with little or no cash but
no need to go to the store. That's when the drive-through ATMs come in
handy.

I also use drive though ATM's on the rare occasions that someone gives
me a check (a rebate, a gift from Mom, healthcare reimbursement, etc)
and I need to deposit it.

If I've used a teller more than a couple of times in the past few
years I'd be surprised.

Many years ago, back in the early 70's, I worked for one of the first
banks (not *the* first one, but close) that had an ATM - a Chase
Manhattan branch in Queens, NY.

It could only be loaded with brand new bills since the early
dispensers couldn't handle old, soft currency. It was also only opened
during branch hours since it was inside the main lobby of a stately
old building that was locked when the branch was closed.

I just checked Google street view. The bank is now a Duane Reade
drugstore, the pub across the street where I used eat lunch is now a
bakery and a news stand and the entire neighborhood is covered in
signs with Oriental writing on them - not that there's anythng wrong
with that.