Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any experience with vinyl floor tiles?

HerHusband wrote:
We are starting to remodel my in-laws kitchen and dining area. They
have chosen a self stick vinyl floor tile they like for the flooring.
I will install whatever they want to use, but my gut feeling tells me
those tiles will be problematic.

I have no experience with self stick vinyl floor tiles, but all those
edges concern me. I would think if you were sitting in a chair and
scooted it forward or backward that it would catch the edges of the
tiles and cause damage?

Does anyone here have experience with viny tiles currently on the
market?

Do you have any problems with the edges being damaged, or tiles coming
loose?

I would like some reassurance my concerns are unwarranted, or some
confirmation that there could be issues with the floor tiles. If they
are problematic, I would like something more than my gut feeling to
recommend they not choose the tiles.

I've got 'em in a 9x10' breakfast room and have had none of the problems
that concern you. I got just about the cheapest that HD had available with
the idea that this was a temporary solution to the removed carpeting. (The
carpeting got ruined with the water heater in the adjacent utility alcove
leaked.) The job took about two hours, including the prep work of cleaning
the concrete.

That was four years ago and I'm just now getting around to replacing them.
Maybe "thinking" about replacing them is a better description inasmuch as
there's no compelling reason to do so.

In your case, I'd go for it. If the self-stick tiles don't last, you're out
very little.

Observations:
1. These are your in-laws. Chances are they don't have a litter of kids
wreaking havoc, so the chances of catastrophic abuse is minimal.
2. To ally your concerns, add to the project the installation of nylon
feet/sliders on the furniture legs.

Make sure you have a few extra tiles in the closet. Just in case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Observations:
1. These are your in-laws. Chances are they don't have a litter of kids
wreaking havoc, so the chances of catastrophic abuse is minimal.
2. To ally your concerns, add to the project the installation of nylon
feet/sliders on the furniture legs.

Make sure you have a few extra tiles in the closet. Just in case.

I put them down for my father inlaw without problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I recently put self-stick tiles in my basement over the existing 9X9
asbestos tiles with no problem. However, I did roll the floor with
vinyl tile adhesive glue as an extra precaution to make the tiles
stick better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 6:10*pm, "Pat" wrote:
Observations:
1. These are your in-laws. Chances are they don't have a litter of kids
wreaking havoc, so the chances of catastrophic abuse is minimal.
2. To ally your concerns, add to the project the installation of nylon
feet/sliders on the furniture legs.

Make sure you have a few extra tiles in the closet. Just in case.

I put them down for my father inlaw without problem.

I used them in my laundry room 15 years ago. Besides the laundry
it serves as the passageway to the garage, so it gets considerable
traffic. They have performed excellent.

But in the case in question, since they are going in a kitchen and
dining area and they like a parquet look, I'd take the inlaws to look
at Pergo and similar laminates. For a 150 sqft area, it would not
cost all that much more and IMO would look a lot better.

Any experience with vinyl floor tiles? Smitty Two Home Repair 4 June 19th 11 08:02 PM
Any experience with vinyl floor tiles? Joe Home Repair 0 June 19th 11 07:05 PM
Laying floor tiles over vinyl tiles ? TonyB UK diy 5 October 11th 09 03:47 PM
Vinyl floor tiles Lucy Home Ownership 1 March 27th 05 09:25 AM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM