Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any experience with vinyl floor tiles?

In article ,
HerHusband wrote:

We are starting to remodel my in-laws kitchen and dining area. They have
chosen a self stick vinyl floor tile they like for the flooring. I will
install whatever they want to use, but my gut feeling tells me those tiles
will be problematic.

I have no experience with self stick vinyl floor tiles, but all those edges
concern me. I would think if you were sitting in a chair and scooted it
forward or backward that it would catch the edges of the tiles and cause
damage?

Does anyone here have experience with viny tiles currently on the market?

Do you have any problems with the edges being damaged, or tiles coming
loose?

I would like some reassurance my concerns are unwarranted, or some
confirmation that there could be issues with the floor tiles. If they are
problematic, I would like something more than my gut feeling to recommend
they not choose the tiles.

Thanks,

Anthony

You can add my gut feeling to yours. The industrial one-square-foot
tiles that are not self-stick are fine, given adequate substrate
preparation, but I'd not use the consumer grade stuff. Did that once in
a motel laundry room, at the behest of the manager, but lifespan and
beauty weren't a concern.

Tell 'em to go with sheet vinyl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2011 12:17 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

For the in-laws, I'd spring for sheet goods installed by a pro. Call it
an anniversary present or something. Better that than patching loose
tiles every time you visit. Not at all impressed with DIY-grade
self-stick, especially in high-traffic areas. Plus, every single install
I have ever seen, the joints are dirt magnets.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

We are starting to remodel my in-laws kitchen and dining area. They
have chosen a self stick vinyl floor tile they like for the flooring.
I will install whatever they want to use, but my gut feeling tells me
those tiles will be problematic.
I have no experience with self stick vinyl floor tiles, but all those
edges concern me. I would think if you were sitting in a chair and
scooted it forward or backward that it would catch the edges of the
tiles and cause damage?

You can add my gut feeling to yours. The industrial one-square-foot
tiles that are not self-stick are fine, given adequate substrate
preparation, but I'd not use the consumer grade stuff. Did that once
in a motel laundry room, at the behest of the manager, but lifespan
and beauty weren't a concern.
Tell 'em to go with sheet vinyl.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anyone who makes a sheet
vinyl version of a wood parquet floor.

My mother-in-law found a wood parquet vinyl tile for 88 cents sq/ft at
one of the box stores. It has been hard to get her to look past the price
and point out you "get what you pay for". The kitchen will only be about
150 sq/ft when we're done, so the overall price difference won't be that
significant even with more expensive flooring options.

My wife and I both think the parquet pattern is old and outdated, but her
parents have different tastes. They're both in their 70's with poor
health. They've lived in the run down house for 50+ years, so we're
trying to give them "their" idea of a dream kitchen for the years they
have left. At the same time, it's a lot of work and I would prefer not to
redo it in a few years.

They don't like the look of tile or natural stone at all, and they
haven't really cared for any of the sheet vinyl flooring they have seen.
They are borderline accepting of T&G hardwood floors, but it's hard to
get them to look at anything but those parquet vinyl floor tiles.

So, I was hoping someone could give me something more than my gut feeling
one way or the other how those self stick vinyl tiles would perform.

Thanks,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2011 1:59 PM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

As with any similar situation applying a layers of adhesive under the
tiles in addition to whatever substandard sticky material comes with
pre-fab product will give greatly better performance. see: Wall paper;
pre-pasted
Posted to alt.home.repair

For the in-laws, I'd spring for sheet goods installed by a pro. Call
it an anniversary present or something. Better that than patching
loose tiles every time you visit. Not at all impressed with DIY-grade
self-stick, especially in high-traffic areas. Plus, every single
install I have ever seen, the joints are dirt magnets.

Installation is a non-issue. We're gutting the kitchen and I already have
experience installing sheet vinyl with great results.

The problem is finding a pattern they like. They're hung up on the parquet
look, and I haven't seen anyone who currently sells these in sheet vinyl
form.

Thanks for the pointer about the joints being dirt magnets. One more reason
to talk them out of the vinyl tiles.

Anthony

Laying floor tiles over vinyl tiles ? TonyB UK diy 5 October 11th 09 03:47 PM
vinyl floor tiles [email protected] UK diy 0 December 23rd 06 01:11 PM
Vinyl tiles on concrete floor Grumps UK diy 3 February 6th 06 12:02 AM
Vinyl floor tiles Lucy Home Ownership 1 March 27th 05 09:25 AM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM