Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacement switch for a Pro Standard pedestal fan?

I have a Pro Standard pedestal fan that was purchased from Lowes
probably 8-10 years ago. It has good velocity and fairly sturdy
construction (metal blades, etc)- except for the 3 speed switch which
just broke.

I have tried searching for a replacement switch and haven't been able
to find much at all. I paid pretty good money for it and would like
to be able to fix it rather than pitch it.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"spam disintegrator" wrote in message
I have a Pro Standard pedestal fan that was purchased from Lowes
probably 8-10 years ago. It has good velocity and fairly sturdy
construction (metal blades, etc)- except for the 3 speed switch which
just broke.

I have tried searching for a replacement switch and haven't been able
to find much at all. I paid pretty good money for it and would like
to be able to fix it rather than pitch it.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? Do you have a picture or a
circuit diagram? Is the switch located where you can retrofit a
replacement? Do you actually use all the different speeds or are you like
me and have it always at the same setting? If the latter is the case it's
pretty easy to convert it to a single speed fan with a little soldering.
Much easier to suggest fixes in detail with some photos, especially of the
switch wiring.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 15, 9:54*pm, spam disintegrator
wrote:
I have a Pro Standard pedestal fan that was purchased from Lowes
probably 8-10 years ago. *It has good velocity and fairly sturdy
construction (metal blades, etc)- except for the 3 speed switch which
just broke.

I have tried searching for a replacement switch and haven't been able
to find much at all. *I paid pretty good money for it and would like
to be able to fix it rather than pitch it.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks!

My best idea would be to disassemble the fan, remove the switch, then
find one that matches both the specifications and size through
McMaster-Carr, Digi-Key, etc.

Useta be that there would be good electronics supply stores around
where you could just walk in and they'd have what you needed, but
there's only one around here that I know of (metro DC area) haven't
really seen a good and helpful one since I moved out of Michigan some
10 years ago.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 11:51*pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:
[...]

The name on the front of the fan is Pro Standard. I haven't been able
to identify anything about the manufacturer. The switch is just
bolted onto the fan cage. It would be nice to have different speeds,
but if the only alternative is one speed, that would do I suppose.
I'm attaching links to photos below:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...8/IMG_4332.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...8/IMG_4342.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...8/IMG_4343.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...8/IMG_4344.JPG

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
spam disintegrator wrote:

I have a Pro Standard pedestal fan that was purchased from Lowes
probably 8-10 years ago. It has good velocity and fairly sturdy
construction (metal blades, etc)- except for the 3 speed switch which
just broke.

I have tried searching for a replacement switch and haven't been able
to find much at all. I paid pretty good money for it and would like
to be able to fix it rather than pitch it.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks!

You call yourself spam disintegrator and you're posting from google? Uh,
this is "usenet," not a google group. They just reprint our stuff
without permission. Many usenet participants block all google-based
posts by default, because 99.99% of the spam comes from google posters.
I hope you see the irony, as I won't see your reply. I only saw your
post because a non-blocker responded to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

remove the switch. wire it straight through so that it's on high speed all
the time. make a 3 position switch by using a box that you mount a ceiling
fan 3 position switch into. the box would have a cord/plug on one side of
the switch, and a normal socket on the other side, that you can then plug
the fan into.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 1:22*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*spam disintegrator wrote:

[...]

Is someone having a bad day? Believe it or not, I know the difference
between google groups and usenet. I also know many other technical
things like that AOL is not "the internet". :P

I rarely get on usenet- my ISP stopped access to usenet and i'm not
going to pay some place for a subscription service etc. This google
account is old- and I'm not a heavy usenet user. Go have a beer, it's
on me.

Maybe someone will reply to this so this internet snob can read it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-.../IMG_4344.JPG- Hide quoted text -

Looks like there is a capacitor hanging off the speed controller..
Can you figure out the wiring from what is left of the switch? If you
could, it is possible a 3-way lamp switch might be kluged to give you
at least tqo motor speeds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2011 7:46 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Jun 16, 12:03 pm, spam
wrote:
On Jun 15, 11:51 pm, "Robert
wrote:

"spam wrote in message

[...]

If you mean a switch like for a 30-70-100W bulb, the action is A, B,
A+B. The motor would probably not like the A+B.

Some possibilities from Grainger:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset
(p/n 4x739) This is a rotary switch with 4 positions like what you have.
You wouldn't connect a wire to one of the positions (off). It may not fit.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset
(p/n 2x466) This is a toggle switch with On-CenterOff-On action. These
are not too hard to find. You could keep 2 speeds.

I am assuming the switch connects one wire at a time for the different
speeds. A lot of times I try to fix switches. Sometimes it works.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
PLG PLG is offline

replying to spam disintegrator, PLG wrote:
Did you find a replacement source? I have the same question - thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-637993-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 9:44:05 PM UTC-4, PLG wrote:
replying to spam disintegrator, PLG wrote:
Did you find a replacement source? I have the same question - thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-637993-.htm

What markings, numbers are on the switch. Google?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 18:59:12 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 9:44:05 PM UTC-4, PLG wrote:
replying to spam disintegrator, PLG wrote:
Did you find a replacement source? I have the same question - thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-637993-.htm

What markings, numbers are on the switch. Google?

A picture is really worth 1000 guesses. If you can't find the exact
switch, you can probably find something that works.
As a last resort
Wire nut the wires together and unplug it when you want it off ;-)
.... But as Richard Nixon said, that would be wrong