Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default replacement switch for a Pro Standard pedestal fan?

spam disintegrator wrote:
On Jun 15, 11:51 pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"spam disintegrator" wrote in message

I have a Pro Standard pedestal fan that was purchased from Lowes
probably 8-10 years ago. It has good velocity and fairly sturdy
construction (metal blades, etc)- except for the 3 speed switch
which just broke.

I have tried searching for a replacement switch and haven't been
able to find much at all. I paid pretty good money for it and would
like to be able to fix it rather than pitch it.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? Do you have a picture or
a circuit diagram? Is the switch located where you can retrofit a
replacement? Do you actually use all the different speeds or are you
like me and have it always at the same setting? If the latter is the
case it's pretty easy to convert it to a single speed fan with a
little soldering. Much easier to suggest fixes in detail with some
photos, especially of the switch wiring.

--
Bobby G.

The name on the front of the fan is Pro Standard. I haven't been able
to identify anything about the manufacturer. The switch is just
bolted onto the fan cage. It would be nice to have different speeds,
but if the only alternative is one speed, that would do I suppose.
I'm attaching links to photos below:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...8/IMG_4332.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...8/IMG_4342.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...8/IMG_4343.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...8/IMG_4344.JPG

remove the switch. wire it straight through so that it's on high speed all
the time. make a 3 position switch by using a box that you mount a ceiling
fan 3 position switch into. the box would have a cord/plug on one side of
the switch, and a normal socket on the other side, that you can then plug
the fan into.