Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacement switch for a Pro Standard pedestal fan?

On Jun 16, 12:03*pm, spam disintegrator
wrote:
On Jun 15, 11:51*pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"spam disintegrator" wrote in message

I have a Pro Standard pedestal fan that was purchased from Lowes
probably 8-10 years ago. *It has good velocity and fairly sturdy
construction (metal blades, etc)- except for the 3 speed switch which
just broke.

I have tried searching for a replacement switch and haven't been able
to find much at all. *I paid pretty good money for it and would like
to be able to fix it rather than pitch it.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? *Do you have a picture or a
circuit diagram? *Is the switch located where you can retrofit a
replacement? *Do you actually use all the different speeds or are you like
me and have it always at the same setting? *If the latter is the case it's
pretty easy to convert it to a single speed fan with a little soldering..
Much easier to suggest fixes in detail with some photos, especially of the
switch wiring.

--
Bobby G.

The name on the front of the fan is Pro Standard. *I haven't been able
to identify anything about the manufacturer. *The switch is just
bolted onto the fan cage. *It would be nice to have different speeds,
but if the only alternative is one speed, that would do I suppose.
I'm attaching links to photos below:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-.../IMG_4344.JPG- Hide quoted text -

Looks like there is a capacitor hanging off the speed controller..
Can you figure out the wiring from what is left of the switch? If you
could, it is possible a 3-way lamp switch might be kluged to give you
at least tqo motor speeds.