Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing patio furniture

We have some cedar furniture in need of repair. Don't know the technical
term, but it's like tongue & groove. The seat slats are the tongue, and go
into a groove of a board, which the board is then fastened to the legs.
These were always loose, I'm guessing so they can expand/contract.

Wondering if I could kind of screw some new "slats" or boards across the
top?

Came home from vacation, and was missing our entire patio furniture. Called
the police, and while an officer was here, a neighbor a couple houses down
came by to see what the commotion was about. Come to find out, he
"borrowed" our patio furniture while we were gone for his daughter's
graduation party. They totally destroyed one of the lounge chairs, broke my
grill, and these chairs need repaired. Really don't know these people, but
he said he would purchase any lumber to fix them.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 10:40*am, "Tony Romal" wrote:
[...]

With neighbors like that who needs vandals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Romal" wrote in :

[...]

How big of him! How about he hire someone to come over and fix it start
to finish. Let the someone figure out how to do it, get materials, do the
work. Do all this while you do crosswords or something...just like if he
never borrowed it.

I know, ain't gonna happen.

Really don't know these people

Neighbor stole it as far as I'm concerned. May have intended to return it
but once everything got damaged he just figured hide the evidence and not
return it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Romal" wrote in message
[...]

I would make out a police report of theft and only cancel it when the
"neighbor" replaces items to yuor satisfaction. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Tony Romal"
wrote:

[...]

I'd say the neighbor just bought you a brand new set, signed, sealed,
delivered. Let him keep the stuff he stole from you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 9:40*am, "Tony Romal" wrote:
[...]

Do you have a police report? His homeowners insurance should pay, or
you can threaten to take them to small claims court, ar maybe appear
on Judge Judy - she would tell him a few things!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in
:

"Tony Romal" wrote in message
[...]

WW: Why does your own original show as quoted? Outlook Express fechur?

I vote for that as well. But we are not the ones who live there. Maybe a
bunch of hard nosed roudys. Get up one day and find a bucket of paint
dumped on your car. You know who did it but can't prove it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Romal wrote:
[...]

What?

Your property was stolen and the thief confessed right in front of the cop?

And the cop didn't slip the bracelets on right there?

Jeeze!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your neighbor is a thief, and had bad judgement about
parties. I'd push the police report, file charges. Ask the
judge to make replacing the furniture part of the sentence.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Romal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's only for jaywalkers, I guess?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

What?

Your property was stolen and the thief confessed right in
front of the cop?

And the cop didn't slip the bracelets on right there?

Jeeze!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/14/2011 9:40 AM, Tony Romal wrote:
[...]

Whoo, boy. After that, I'm sure you *don't* want to get to know them.
Although I'd ask the cops if _they've_ got a history with that family.
I'd also ask the cops what your options are, and what they recommend
you do in this case. If they know the guy and/or his family, they will
probably give you more specific advice. Hell, they might even ask you
to press charges.

I'd find out the replacement cost for the furniture and the grill. If
it's enough to warrant felony charges, that should motivate him to
make it right and keep you happy. And if you'll only be happy with
replacement rather than repair, he should replace it all.

I'm wondering what he's going to help himself to next while you or
another neighbor is gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hell Toupee wrote the following:
[...]

But he also opened the door. If the OP needs something that the guy has,
just go and take it and not return it until he calls the cops.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Your neighbor is a thief, and had bad judgement about
parties. I'd push the police report, file charges. Ask the
judge to make replacing the furniture part of the sentence.

There's unfortunately no attempt to permanently deprive the owner of the
property as they returned it, albeit busted up. Trust neighbors that pushy
to concoct a "but there was a man in the backyard who TOLD us we could
borrow it. - Gee, we're *awfully* sorry. That man must have been trying to
steal your furniture so we took it to protect it!" (or some other
cockamamie story). Cops that I worked with would not make an arrest in such
a case simply because they know that would cause permanent hostilities - and
more work for them in the long run.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 1:17*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Your neighbor is a thief, and had bad judgement about
parties. I'd push the police report, file charges. Ask the
judge to make replacing the furniture *part of the sentence.

There's unfortunately no attempt to permanently deprive the owner of the
property as they returned it, albeit busted up. *Trust neighbors that pushy
to concoct a "but there was a man in the backyard who TOLD us we could
borrow it. - *Gee, we're *awfully* sorry. *That man must have been trying to
steal your furniture so we took it to protect it!" *(or some other
cockamamie story). *Cops that I worked with would not make an arrest in such
a case simply because they know that would cause permanent hostilities - and
more work for them in the long run.

--
Bobby G.

Yeah, maybe no arrest, but at least a police report would give the OP
some ammunition with the insurance co for the "borrower".
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

So some guy that you "don't really know" borrows your stuff and then
comes over when the police are there to admit that he borrowed it
without your permission?

Does the term nut-case come to mind?

How did that conversation go? How did he get involved with you and the
police at that "meeting".

If I get nosy and go over to a house that the cops have been called
to, I don't usually get directly involved with the owner and the cops.
I keep a respectable distance and hope to catch some juicy tidbits.

How did you "come to find out" that this guy borrowed your stuff?