Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Use patio furniture as front room furniture?

Am on a very tight budget

anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as
front room furniture?

You can buy a well made set of patio furniture....
chair, love seat, coffee table, end table... for abt
$500 total. It is lightweight and sturdy and made of
plastic "wicker".

Anyone doing it? Work ok?

see link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2519819
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Am on a very tight budget

anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as
front room furniture?

You can buy a well made set of patio furniture....
chair, love seat, coffee table, end table... for abt
$500 total. It is lightweight and sturdy and made of
plastic "wicker".

Anyone doing it? Work ok?

see link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2519819

No, you cannot use outdoor furniture in the house. Everyone knows that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
Am on a very tight budget

anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as
front room furniture?

You can buy a well made set of patio furniture....
chair, love seat, coffee table, end table... for abt
$500 total. It is lightweight and sturdy and made of
plastic "wicker".

Anyone doing it? Work ok?

see link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2519819

No, you cannot use outdoor furniture in the house. Everyone knows that.

I thought it was mandatory in West Virginia.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Am on a very tight budget

anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as
front room furniture?

You can buy a well made set of patio furniture....
chair, love seat, coffee table, end table... for abt
$500 total. It is lightweight and sturdy and made of
plastic "wicker".

Anyone doing it? Work ok?

see link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2519819

Why not?

We have a large family room. This fall when we were putting the outdoor
stuff away my wife suggested we bring in our glass top "cafe" table and use
it in the family room so it would not get damaged. We now enjoy breakfast
together while watching the morning news before I head out to work. I'm
going to miss it come summer when it goes back outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Am on a very tight budget

anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as
front room furniture?

Been there, done that. Loved it. Lots of stuff available at yard sales.
Lots of fluff items that make your living room look like a patio at a condo
in Cabo. Definitely relaxing. If you have room, put up a hammock, too. A
very casual air for entertaining. And you're not worried about anyone
getting bean dip on the leather sofa.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:03:33 -0500, Frank
frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
Am on a very tight budget

anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as
front room furniture?

You can buy a well made set of patio furniture....
chair, love seat, coffee table, end table... for abt
$500 total. It is lightweight and sturdy and made of
plastic "wicker".

Anyone doing it? Work ok?

see link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2519819

No, you cannot use outdoor furniture in the house. Everyone knows that.

He's right. You'll have worms and spiders. They come with the
furniture, in the box.

I thought it was mandatory in West Virginia.

Not sure about that but I think it is mandatory there to use inside
furniture outside.

Seriously, my mother used a round wrought iron table with a glass
insert top and the matching chairs in the kitchen. They were designed
for the outside, but she thought it looked nice. It was like being
outside**

**In the same ridiculous way that car makers claimed that having a
vinyt top was like having a convertible. But still, the table was
nice. Before we moved there, we had rettan funiture on the
screened-in porch. It is similar to wicker. It would be fine
indoors. Don't let the narrow-minded guests give you a hard time. If
they start to criticize, show them your voodoo room and the spells you
can cast and that will get their mind off the furniture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a decent set, I have the same one ( outside on my patio) and it has
held up for 2 years just fine. I'm sure it will be great inside too. You
might need to put something under the bottom to avoid scratching the floor
if it's wood or soft tile, but other than that..why not?

--
Mikey S.
wrote in message
Am on a very tight budget

anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as
front room furniture?

You can buy a well made set of patio furniture....
chair, love seat, coffee table, end table... for abt
$500 total. It is lightweight and sturdy and made of
plastic "wicker".

Anyone doing it? Work ok?

see link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2519819

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Am on a very tight budget

Yeah right!

anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as
front room furniture?

Only those who are uppety and think they are the Jones's.

You can buy a well made set of patio furniture....
chair, love seat, coffee table, end table... for abt
$500 total. It is lightweight and sturdy and made of
plastic "wicker".

Sure, if you have $500 DOLLARS on a 'tight' budget.

Anyone doing it? Work ok?

Seriously though, it's furniture. :-)

All kidding aside....

If you are comfortable on it, who cares what we all might think. My wife
and I had empty paint buckets (5 gallon size, 1 gallon would just be silly)
as our first chairs in our apartment. We had no mattress, just our blankets
and pillows on the floor in the bedroom. Our dining table/coffee table was
2 more buckets with a board across the top. :-)

The only caution I would have would be the strength of the patio furniture
for those on the heavier side of life. I have some friends who may not want
to sit on patio furniture because it might give way. Plastic/Wicker may not
be sturdy enough for extended use.

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message

Sure, if you have $500 DOLLARS on a 'tight' budget.

$500 for living room furniture is a VERY tight budget. Unless you buy junk
that will sag and wear in a few years..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote:

anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as
front room furniture?

Been there, done that. Loved it. Lots of stuff available at yard sales.
Lots of fluff items that make your living room look like a patio at a condo
in Cabo. Definitely relaxing. If you have room, put up a hammock, too. A
very casual air for entertaining. And you're not worried about anyone
getting bean dip on the leather sofa.

well I know it sounded crazy but I like the light
weight and sturdiness of the patio furniture better
than regular furniture
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikey S." wrote:

That's a decent set, I have the same one ( outside on my patio) and it has
held up for 2 years just fine. I'm sure it will be great inside too. You
might need to put something under the bottom to avoid scratching the floor
if it's wood or soft tile, but other than that..why not?

I guess I'm curious what others would think abt it

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote:

If you are comfortable on it, who cares what we all might think. My wife
and I had empty paint buckets (5 gallon size, 1 gallon would just be silly)
as our first chairs in our apartment. We had no mattress, just our blankets
and pillows on the floor in the bedroom. Our dining table/coffee table was
2 more buckets with a board across the top. :-)

Wow... you guys really did start out with little huh?!

Seriously...... not many people would do that

The only caution I would have would be the strength of the patio furniture
for those on the heavier side of life. I have some friends who may not want
to sit on patio furniture because it might give way. Plastic/Wicker may not
be sturdy enough for extended use.

yeah.... most of the new patio furniture I've looked at
such as at Home depot and Walmart say something abt a
300 lb limit on the love seat
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
"Tim" wrote:

[...]

Ahhhhhhhh yes, the old days of Pier 1 hatch covers, free wire rope spool end
and coffee tables, bean bag chairs, and cinderblock bookcases with plywood
shelves. How did we EVER live before we became civilized?

Heh. I'm 51 and still have most of my college furniture, other than the
stuff I loaned out when I left town there (never to see it again, of
course.) I have maybe 4 pieces I have purchased retail- couch'n'chair, a
mattress set, and previous couch (a futon that turned out to be crap,
but I replaced the staples with drywall screws and am still using it.)
Everything else is from auctions and garage sales, or family
hand-me-downs, or crude shelves I nailed together myself. When I moved,
I did get rid of my worktable that was a solid-core door on pillars of
empty Stroh's half-cases duct-taped together.

One of the few advantages of no SWMBO in the house- I don't have to
waste time or money fussing with stuff just so it looks pretty. If it
does what I need, and won't fall over and kill me (or the toys sitting
on it), I'm happy. (And no, I don't have any of that chipboard crap,
either- only real wood or commercial-grade metal for me.)

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote:

anyone ever think abt using patio furniture indoors as
front room furniture?

Been there, done that. Loved it. Lots of stuff available at yard sales.
Lots of fluff items that make your living room look like a patio at a
condo
in Cabo. Definitely relaxing. If you have room, put up a hammock, too.
very casual air for entertaining. And you're not worried about anyone
getting bean dip on the leather sofa.

well I know it sounded crazy but I like the light
weight and sturdiness of the patio furniture better
than regular furniture

Yeah. You want a little better angle on the TV, and it's easy to just move
a chaise rather than moving a couch. Easy to rearrange quickly if you want
more room for a party. Easy to add a couple of more chairs for this and
that. Very flexible. And if it gets bean dip spilled on it, just take it
outside and hose it off.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
"Mikey S." wrote:

That's a decent set, I have the same one ( outside on my patio) and it has
held up for 2 years just fine. I'm sure it will be great inside too. You
might need to put something under the bottom to avoid scratching the floor
if it's wood or soft tile, but other than that..why not?

I guess I'm curious what others would think abt it

Who cares? It's your house. Haven't you ever been to someone's house who
had hideous furniture (you thought), but they loved it? Do what you like
and don't worry what others think. Tell them it's Armani, and cost $18,000,
and doesn't it look lovely?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
"Tim" wrote:

[...]

Amen to that, brother. They don't make "****" like they used to. Good
thing is that old used getting thrown away "****" is either free or cheap.
And has WAY more class than that new stuff that is made to look old.

Money won't buy class.

Ahhhh. Makes me wonder what I'd do if SWMBO wasn't around. First thing to
go would be the baskets and candles. 777 candles, and not ONE with a burned
wick. Must mean something.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
Sure, if you have $500 DOLLARS on a 'tight' budget.

$500 for living room furniture is a VERY tight budget. Unless you buy junk
that will sag and wear in a few years..

Or make do with clean quality used stuff, which I admit can be real hard
to find, especially in styles you can stand. (I have a lot of used
stuff, but finally gave up on the couch and chair and bought new. All
the decent used stuff was way too huge for my 1960-sized living room,
which is tiny by modern standards.)

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:47:00 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

I know how you feel. I'm 61. I have a beautiful bedroom suite
bought for me when I was about 5, quality and still in almost perfect
condition. My mother used it in the guest room for 34 years after I
left home, until 10 years ago when she died, and my brother has used
it since, except one dresser that won't fit in his house. So when the
weather gets warm enough to put the top down, I'm going to drive to
Dallas to get it. But you know, I like all my junk furniture and it's
all walnut, or maybe walnut color . (But no chipboard either) My
child stuff is ash, which is stained light. It's going to clash with
all my junk. (In the bedroom, a chest of drawers, a dresser, a 1930's
floor radio cabinet, and a 1920's or early 30's record player case
with 1920's or early 30's record player on top, and a bookshelf that
my mother mounted casters on the top and turned upside down, that I
keep next to the bed with vcr's, radios, lamp, etc. ) Not only will
it clash, I have to get rid of the other chest to make room, and even
though it's not much, I like it. And how can I store my spare
wrenches, hammers, and rarely used tools in my beautiful dresser like
I have done in the free dresser someone gave me 35 years ago.

I think I'm going to have to line the drawers I use for hardware with
those advertising signs that are stuck on wire legs on public streets.
I've confiscated hundreds of them.

P.S. I bought a cheap 4x8' trailer from harbor freight, had it
delivered to my brother and plan to assemble it in Dallas, with the
help of my 7-year old nephew when he gets home from school. I was
about 6 when my grandfather came to visit, and he replaced the light
switch on the stairs that went to the basement. I think that and the
Lionel train is what got me interested in fixing things. 55 years
later I still remember what my grampa fixed. I can almost remember
watching him.

On the way down, I'm goint to look for coal miners in W.Va., Mammoth
Caves in Kentucky, drive through Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, go
diamond hunting in that park in Arkansas, check out Hope, Arkansas
(which is only 1 minute off the road to Dallas), and on the way back,
I want to stop at Lake Providence, Louisiana, on the Mississippi,
where my cousin ran the general store for a long time including 1947.
All of these are places I've never been before, despite 3 passes over
the general area.

BTW, total eclipse of the moon Wednesday, at leas east of the
Missisipi, from 8:45 PM, totality at 10:01, ends at 10:51 EST.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

All
the decent used stuff was way too huge for my 1960-sized living room,
which is tiny by modern standards.)

Well this is another reason I was thinking abt patio
furniture as it is "compact" and my apartment is tiny
also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
"Tim" wrote:

If you are comfortable on it, who cares what we all might think. My wife
and I had empty paint buckets (5 gallon size, 1 gallon would just be
silly)

Ahhhhhhhh yes, the old days of Pier 1 hatch covers, free wire rope spool
end and coffee tables, bean bag chairs, and cinderblock bookcases with
plywood shelves. How did we EVER live before we became civilized?

Steve, I think you were my neighbor......:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:54:38 -0800, Tim wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
"Tim" wrote:

If you are comfortable on it, who cares what we all might think. My wife
and I had empty paint buckets (5 gallon size, 1 gallon would just be
silly)

Ahhhhhhhh yes, the old days of Pier 1 hatch covers, free wire rope spool
end and coffee tables, bean bag chairs, and cinderblock bookcases with
plywood shelves. How did we EVER live before we became civilized?

Steve, I think you were my neighbor......:-)

Usually it's the other way around. A jeff foxworthy YMBAR joke:
"If your lawn furniture used to be your living room furniture... YMBAR."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
"Tim" wrote:

If you are comfortable on it, who cares what we all might think. My
wife
and I had empty paint buckets (5 gallon size, 1 gallon would just be
silly)

Ahhhhhhhh yes, the old days of Pier 1 hatch covers, free wire rope spool
end and coffee tables, bean bag chairs, and cinderblock bookcases with
plywood shelves. How did we EVER live before we became civilized?

Steve, I think you were my neighbor......:-)

Usually it's the other way around. A jeff foxworthy YMBAR joke:
"If your lawn furniture used to be your living room furniture... YMBAR."

I've seen and owned a lot of good furniture moved from the living room to
the patio or porch. Don't know if that qualifies me as a redneck, though,
as it was in an urban area. I think there are urban rednecks, too. There's
Urban Cowboys.

Steve