Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee[_4_] Hell Toupee[_4_] is offline

Default Repairing patio furniture

On 6/14/2011 9:40 AM, Tony Romal wrote:
We have some cedar furniture in need of repair. Don't know the technical
term, but it's like tongue& groove. The seat slats are the tongue, and go
into a groove of a board, which the board is then fastened to the legs.
These were always loose, I'm guessing so they can expand/contract.

Wondering if I could kind of screw some new "slats" or boards across the
top?

Came home from vacation, and was missing our entire patio furniture. Called
the police, and while an officer was here, a neighbor a couple houses down
came by to see what the commotion was about. Come to find out, he
"borrowed" our patio furniture while we were gone for his daughter's
graduation party. They totally destroyed one of the lounge chairs, broke my
grill, and these chairs need repaired. Really don't know these people, but
he said he would purchase any lumber to fix them.

Whoo, boy. After that, I'm sure you *don't* want to get to know them.
Although I'd ask the cops if _they've_ got a history with that family.
I'd also ask the cops what your options are, and what they recommend
you do in this case. If they know the guy and/or his family, they will
probably give you more specific advice. Hell, they might even ask you
to press charges.

I'd find out the replacement cost for the furniture and the grill. If
it's enough to warrant felony charges, that should motivate him to
make it right and keep you happy. And if you'll only be happy with
replacement rather than repair, he should replace it all.

I'm wondering what he's going to help himself to next while you or
another neighbor is gone.