Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure treated wood outdoor swing/slide: should I use wood sealer??

Hi.
Just inherited a 5-year old pressure-treated wood outdoor swing/slide
sets. It looks like bare wood and never painted or sealed. Should I
seal it? If so, any suggestions on product to use?
Thanks
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 7, 12:19*pm, millinghill wrote:
Hi.
Just inherited a 5-year old pressure-treated wood outdoor swing/slide
sets. *It looks like bare wood and never painted or sealed. *Should I
seal it? *If so, any suggestions on product to use?
Thanks
Theodore

If it looks good now, use it and pass it on when your kids are done
with it. They won't care if it is pretty or not. Keep the end grain
wood away from direct soil contact if you can, using concrete pavers,
whatever.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Or are you concerned about the pressure treating chemicals being in
contact your kids? *Personally, if it was my kids I might seal it with
one of the heavier sealer stains that might minimize touch contact. *I
have used Behr's higher priced stain on our deck. *Can't say it is the
prettiest finish on earth but it should put some body between the wood
and kids hands.

RonB

No, not overly concerned about exposure. Just want to keep it looking
nice, avoid splinters, etc.
Should I look for polyeurathane? something else?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 11:13*pm, millinghill wrote:
Or are you concerned about the pressure treating chemicals being in
contact your kids? *Personally, if it was my kids I might seal it with
one of the heavier sealer stains that might minimize touch contact. *I
have used Behr's higher priced stain on our deck. *Can't say it is the
prettiest finish on earth but it should put some body between the wood
and kids hands.

RonB

No, not overly concerned about exposure. *Just want to keep it looking
nice, avoid splinters, etc.
Should I look for polyeurathane? *something else?

Is the actual slide wood???
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the actual slide wood???

No, slide is plastic.
"Fortress" is wood, as are the main horizontal bar and vertical end
supports for swings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 10:19:39 -0700 (PDT), millinghill
wrote:

Hi.
Just inherited a 5-year old pressure-treated wood outdoor swing/slide
sets. It looks like bare wood and never painted or sealed. Should I
seal it? If so, any suggestions on product to use?
Thanks
Theodore

Power wash or otherwise clean thoroughly then use something like
Arborcoat from Ben Moore. A bit pricey but provides a beautiful
finish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...od-637157-.htm
annagold wrote:

I have a two kids window swings which are very good but I think that children will like this. I just want to give it for free.