Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Flexible gas line

Looking to install a natural gas stove. Home currently uses a LP gas
bottle fed stove. City natural gas has been installed into the
residence. One section of black pipe has a cap allowing extending the
line to the kitchen.

Being an older structure the basement beams don't run symmetrical so
extending the black pipe is an option I'd like alternatives to. Flexible
CCST seems like a viable option. Gastite products appear to be in line
with what I'm considering.

What I haven't found is where do you get custom lengths produced?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Jim" wrote in message
Looking to install a natural gas stove. Home currently uses a LP gas
bottle fed stove. City natural gas has been installed into the
residence. One section of black pipe has a cap allowing extending the
line to the kitchen.

Being an older structure the basement beams don't run symmetrical so
extending the black pipe is an option I'd like alternatives to. Flexible
CCST seems like a viable option. Gastite products appear to be in line
with what I'm considering.

What I haven't found is where do you get custom lengths produced?

They don't produce custom lengths of factory made flex pipe. In many areas
gas installers are approved to install a flexible line that can be run
through and around obstructions like PEX water pipe, and terminated on-site
by licensed installers, this is what you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 7:41*pm, Jim wrote:
Looking to install a natural gas stove. *Home currently uses a LP gas
bottle fed stove. *City natural gas has been installed into the
residence. One section of black pipe has a cap allowing extending the
line to the kitchen.

Being an older structure the basement beams don't run symmetrical so
extending the black pipe is an option I'd like alternatives to. *Flexible
CCST seems like a viable option. *Gastite products appear to be in line
with what I'm considering.

What I haven't found is where do you get custom lengths produced?

That's one of the problems. If you just have a short distance you
have a hard time finding a peice without buying a lot more than you
need. I just run black iron pipe myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 8:47*pm, "EXT" wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

Looking to install a natural gas stove. *Home currently uses a LP gas
bottle fed stove. *City natural gas has been installed into the
residence. One section of black pipe has a cap allowing extending the
line to the kitchen.

Being an older structure the basement beams don't run symmetrical so
extending the black pipe is an option I'd like alternatives to. *Flexible
CCST seems like a viable option. *Gastite products appear to be in line
with what I'm considering.

What I haven't found is where do you get custom lengths produced?

They don't produce custom lengths of factory made flex pipe. In many areas
gas installers are approved to install a flexible line that can be run
through and around obstructions like PEX water pipe, and terminated on-site
by licensed installers, this is what you need.

Lowes sells a CCST kit. I've saw a discussion a while ago questioning
the legality of who could actually install it. Apparently there is
training
available online. What your particular locality allows or doesn't
allow
will vary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 10:08*am, "
wrote:
On May 31, 8:47*pm, "EXT" wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

will vary.- Hide quoted text -

In the above, by kit I meant one that allows you to make
custom lengths.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/31/2011 6:41 PM, Jim wrote:
Looking to install a natural gas stove. Home currently uses a LP gas
bottle fed stove. City natural gas has been installed into the
residence. One section of black pipe has a cap allowing extending the
line to the kitchen.

Being an older structure the basement beams don't run symmetrical so
extending the black pipe is an option I'd like alternatives to. Flexible
CCST seems like a viable option. Gastite products appear to be in line
with what I'm considering.

What I haven't found is where do you get custom lengths produced?

What real difference does the symmetry of the basement joists have to do
w/ running the line? If you have access, how hard can it be? Is it
conventional construction or something unique?

All in all, the black iron is probably the homeowners' diy'ers' choice;
as always you'll have to check on local reqm'ts and limitations by the
gas company and civil jurisdiction on what's legal there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Presumably he does not want to have it under the joists so he is
looking to avoid drilling holes in all of them. I agree that black
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/1/2011 11:08 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

What real difference does the symmetry of the basement joists have to do
w/ running the line? If you have access, how hard can it be? Is it
conventional construction or something unique?

Presumably he does not want to have it under the joists so he is
looking to avoid drilling holes in all of them....

Well he said the problem was "symmetry". I was asking what symmetry,
per se, has to do with it.

He didn't say the run was perpendicular to the joist direction. The
simple presumption is w/ drilling agreed but was struck by the fact that
wasn't what actually said. But, what's so hard about drilling for 3/4"
black pipe in standard joist? I was trying to see if there really is
something unique or if OP is just a little gun shy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 31, 6:41*pm, Jim wrote:
Looking to install a natural gas stove. *Home currently uses a LP gas
bottle fed stove. *City natural gas has been installed into the
residence. One section of black pipe has a cap allowing extending the
line to the kitchen.

Being an older structure the basement beams don't run symmetrical so
extending the black pipe is an option I'd like alternatives to. *Flexible
CCST seems like a viable option. *Gastite products appear to be in line
with what I'm considering.

What I haven't found is where do you get custom lengths produced?

Buy a threading die rig and pipe cutter from Harbor Freight if you
don't have them. Cut and install black iron pipe. Hang it on the
bottom of the joists with proper pipe clips. No need to drill through
joists unless you have some extremely unusual home framing system. Use
lots of gas type pipe dope and there will be zero leakage. Remember to
turn gas on and off at meter as needed... learn how if you haven't
been instructed before.

Joe