Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small dimmer for ceiling light

On May 23, 3:48*pm, hamish wrote:
I live in a 60s house with a problem. *Normal dimmers will not fit the
switch boxes as they are too large or the the electrical box is too
small. *Any idea where I might find a super slim dimmer switch. *I am
in Canada so that makes it a more difficult solution.
Thanks

Ummm... Sounds like you should call an electrician out
to install some larger electrical boxes...

Sometimes if the electrician is good enough the old box
can be removed without making a huge hole in the wall
to remove it... It all depends on how the original box
was attached to the structure...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 4:01*am, Evan wrote:
On May 23, 3:48*pm, hamish wrote:

I live in a 60s house with a problem. *Normal dimmers will not fit the
switch boxes as they are too large or the the electrical box is too
small. *Any idea where I might find a super slim dimmer switch. *I am
in Canada so that makes it a more difficult solution.
Thanks

Ummm... *Sounds like you should call an electrician out
to install some larger electrical boxes...

Sometimes if the electrician is good enough the old box
can be removed without making a huge hole in the wall
to remove it... *It all depends on how the original box
was attached to the structure...

~~ Evan

Thanks for all your responses,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 4:01*am, Evan wrote:
On May 23, 3:48*pm, hamish wrote:

I live in a 60s house with a problem. *Normal dimmers will not fit the
switch boxes as they are too large or the the electrical box is too
small. *Any idea where I might find a super slim dimmer switch. *I am
in Canada so that makes it a more difficult solution.
Thanks

Ummm... *Sounds like you should call an electrician out
to install some larger electrical boxes...

Yeah, get an electrician to change not only the one problem
box, but also other boxes too that are perfectly fine, instead
of simply finding a dimmer that will fit. I don't know where
some of you come up with your advice.

Sometimes if the electrician is good enough the old box
can be removed without making a huge hole in the wall
to remove it... *It all depends on how the original box
was attached to the structure...

~~ Evan

Yeah, and if it isn't possible for a variety of reasons, now
he can call the painters in too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On May 24, 4:01*am, Evan wrote:
On May 23, 3:48*pm, hamish wrote:

[...]

Ability, experience of long term problems with short term solutions. And
I look at it as once the box is replaced the variety of dimmers that can
be used open wide.

But yes, I understand and agree, replacing a box can be overwhelming if
you've never done it. Especially if the person doesn't know to watch out
for the wires behind/around the box if cutting nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 25, 10:52*am, "
wrote:
On May 24, 4:01*am, Evan wrote:

On May 23, 3:48*pm, hamish wrote:

I live in a 60s house with a problem. *Normal dimmers will not fit the
switch boxes as they are too large or the the electrical box is too
small. *Any idea where I might find a super slim dimmer switch. *I am
in Canada so that makes it a more difficult solution.
Thanks

Ummm... *Sounds like you should call an electrician out
to install some larger electrical boxes...

Yeah, get an electrician to change not only the one problem
box, but also other boxes too that are perfectly fine, *instead
*of simply finding a dimmer that will fit. * I don't know where
some of you come up with your advice.

you do realize that a house built in the '60s likely has 2-3/4" (or
thereabouts) deep gem boxes and therefore wouldn't even meet current
NEC wire fill requirements unless used as a switch box on a switch
leg?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 11:13*am, N8N wrote:
On May 25, 10:52*am, "
wrote:

On May 24, 4:01*am, Evan wrote:

On May 23, 3:48*pm, hamish wrote:

I live in a 60s house with a problem. *Normal dimmers will not fit the
switch boxes as they are too large or the the electrical box is too
small. *Any idea where I might find a super slim dimmer switch. *I am
in Canada so that makes it a more difficult solution.
Thanks

Ummm... *Sounds like you should call an electrician out
to install some larger electrical boxes...

Yeah, get an electrician to change not only the one problem
box, but also other boxes too that are perfectly fine, *instead
*of simply finding a dimmer that will fit. * I don't know where
some of you come up with your advice.

you do realize that a house built in the '60s likely has 2-3/4" (or
thereabouts) deep gem boxes and therefore wouldn't even meet current
NEC wire fill requirements unless used as a switch box on a switch
leg?

nate- Hide quoted text -

I realize that I don't know what the national electric code in Canada
says about box size when simply replacing a switch with a
dimmer. I do know that in my own house, if I found a dimmer
that fit, I'd use it instead of tearing out the old box and creating a
lot of potential work, eg wall repair, painting, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 25, 11:49*am, "
wrote:
On May 25, 11:13*am, N8N wrote:

On May 25, 10:52*am, "
wrote:

On May 24, 4:01*am, Evan wrote:

On May 23, 3:48*pm, hamish wrote:

[...]

the dimmer makes no difference. 2x 14/2 WG in a box with a device is
overfull according to current code with box sizes typical of those
used in the 60s. AFAIK Canadian code is roughly equivalent to NEC.

The fact that the dimmer doesn't physically fit just reinforces the
need to install a new box.

I've had no problems replacing existing boxes in existing walls. The
plastic old work boxes are physically larger than the metal ones, if
the hole in the wall is oversized.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 11:56*am, N8N wrote:
On May 25, 11:49*am, "
wrote:

On May 25, 11:13*am, N8N wrote:

On May 25, 10:52*am, "
wrote:

On May 24, 4:01*am, Evan wrote:

On May 23, 3:48*pm, hamish wrote:

[...]

Roughly equivalent doesn't mean you just apply the US NEC.
Bottom line is no one here knows the size of the box, how many
conductors are in it or the CA applicable code.

The fact that the dimmer doesn't physically fit just reinforces the
need to install a new box.

Who knows what size dimmer they had? RBM provided a link to
a potentially smaller one. I'd bet that if that one fits, almost
everyone faced with that situation would just use it instead of
installing a larger box. I would not force fit one in, but if he
can get it in with a reasonable fit, that's what I'd do.

I've had no problems replacing existing boxes in existing walls. *The
plastic old work boxes are physically larger than the metal ones, if
the hole in the wall is oversized.

nate- Hide quoted text -

And what happens if the cable that's stapled to studs now isn't
long enough to meet the minimum conductor length? Apply the NEC
and figure out how to extend the wire?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On May 25, 11:49 am, "
wrote:
On May 25, 11:13 am, N8N wrote:

On May 25, 10:52 am, "
wrote:

On May 24, 4:01 am, Evan wrote:

On May 23, 3:48 pm, hamish wrote:

[...]

It's easy to say, just replace the box with a bigger one. From my
experience, shallow boxes were usually used when larger boxes wouldn't fit.
Since the op talks about more than one box with this situation, it's
entirely possible that it's a masonry house with just furring strips between
the masonry and the wall covering. If that's the case, it's really no easy
task to replace the boxes with bigger ones. FYI , the metal boxes from the
60's are the same sizes as they are today. Leviton made the trimatron
dimmers just for this purpose. If a toggle switch fits, so will a trimatron.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 25, 7:30*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"N8N" wrote in message