Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Small dimmer for ceiling light

Evan wrote in news:e6d79874-b400-4c1a-a749-
:

On May 23, 3:48*pm, hamish wrote:
I live in a 60s house with a problem. *Normal dimmers will not fit the
switch boxes as they are too large or the the electrical box is too
small. *Any idea where I might find a super slim dimmer switch. *I am
in Canada so that makes it a more difficult solution.
Thanks

Ummm... Sounds like you should call an electrician out
to install some larger electrical boxes...

Sometimes if the electrician is good enough the old box
can be removed without making a huge hole in the wall
to remove it... It all depends on how the original box
was attached to the structure...

~~ Evan

If it's a plastic box it shouldn't be big problem. And of course, the
official HF MF tool would be useful.

Maybe we are all being pesimistic and it's already a metal box with Madison
clips :-)

OP: Replace with an "old work" box. They have wings that open up when you
turn the screws locking it in.

http://www.carlon.com/Brochures/2B1-OldWork.pdf