Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting in single light switch into 2 gang gem box

Doing some electrical work in my brother-in-law's condo. Because of a
wall that was taken down, I have to make a splice box to rejoin some
circuits. One of which was a light switch for the hallway.This will be
in a sheetrock wall so I have to cut in an old work gem box The only
problem is one gem box is to small to fit 4 BX cables, so I wanted to
put 2 gem boxes. But now how do I put in only 1 light switch? Is there
a cover plate made for that purpose? Or am I missing something here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 11:39*am, Mikepier wrote:
Doing some electrical work in my brother-in-law's condo. Because of a
wall that was taken down, I have to make a splice box to rejoin some
circuits. One of which was a light switch for the hallway.This will be
in a sheetrock wall so I have to cut in an old work gem box The only
problem is one gem box is to small to fit 4 BX cables, so I wanted to
put 2 gem boxes. But now how do I put in only 1 light switch? Is there
a cover plate made for that purpose? Or am I missing something here?

Can you fit a duplex outlet into the double box in addition to the
switch? Outlets mounted up high are not normal, but they sure are
handy to plug in a vacuuum cleaner without having to bend over and
reach behind some piece of furniture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Doing some electrical work in my brother-in-law's condo. Because of a
wall that was taken down, I have to make a splice box to rejoin some
circuits. One of which was a light switch for the hallway.This will be
in a sheetrock wall so I have to cut in an old work gem box The only
problem is one gem box is to small to fit 4 BX cables, so I wanted to
put 2 gem boxes. But now how do I put in only 1 light switch? Is there
a cover plate made for that purpose? Or am I missing something here?

** Raco actually makes a thing that replaces one of the sides of the gem
box, which adds additional space and sits behind the sheetrock. I think it's
called xcube. This won't solve your problem of getting 4 BX cables into a
box through a 2x3 cutout. If I were you, I'd cut open the sheetrock 8X8 and
install a deep bang on 1900 box with a single gang reducing cover, then
patch the sheetrock. It'll be neater, easier, look like it should, and be
legal

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*An electrical supply company will have two gang toggle/blank wallplates in
stock. If they don't have the color that you want, it can be special
ordered.

RBM made a very good suggestion. With a 4" square x 2 1/8" metal box you
will have plenty of splice room and you can just put a mud ring on for a
single device.

I hope that we will see some before and after pictures of this condo
project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for everyones inputs.

Because of the length of the BX's and the location, I can't mount the
box high, nor can I re-run some of them because they continue into the
walls feeding the outlets. I would have to break the old plaster/
sheetrock walls to gain access to the cables. Also I did not want to
cut out an 8X8 in the wall to put a 1900 box with a mud ring. Putting
in 2 old work gem boxes seem like the easiest solution.
But at least I know they do make a 2 gang plate that has one side
blank, or as one suggested put in an outlet and a switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 15 May 2011 09:39:08 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

Doing some electrical work in my brother-in-law's condo. Because of a
wall that was taken down, I have to make a splice box to rejoin some
circuits. One of which was a light switch for the hallway.This will be
in a sheetrock wall so I have to cut in an old work gem box The only
problem is one gem box is to small to fit 4 BX cables, so I wanted to
put 2 gem boxes. But now how do I put in only 1 light switch? Is there
a cover plate made for that purpose? Or am I missing something here?

This is what you need.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RAC...ter-Ring-3KF45
It's called a plaster ring.
You mount your double (4 inch) box deeper in the wall, then add this
plaster ring. The lip on the front is the only part that sticks out
of the wall. You can buy them with "lips" from 1/4" to 3/4". If
you're using 1/2" sheetrock, you want a 1/2" lip.

Most bigger hardware stores have them, or go to an electrical supply
house.

The one shown in the picture has a 1/4" lip, which is for paneling.

This one has a 5/8" lip, which would work fine for 1/2" sheetrock,
just put your box back another 1/8". (Most of your switch will be set
into the lip, so you will have lots of space in the box itself).

This is what the pro's use and have used them for many years. If you
got BX cable, you MUST use a metal box to preserve the grounding.
Then use this metal plaster ring.

You can also buy these as "doubles", for two switches, or outlets, or
one switch and one outlet next to each other.

He doesn't want to open the wall to mount a 1900 box, so he's using cut in
gem boxes

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 1:48*pm, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

YUP, THATS HOW YOU DO IT ALRIGHT...ANYTHING ELSE IS TOM FOOLERY.
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

there is such a thing as an old work 1900 box, believe it or not - but I
don't know that there's any good way to combine it with a plaster ring.

http://www.hubbell-raco.com/feat_item.aspx?feature=973

There's another version that has the screw holes in the same place as a
regular 1900 box, which is great for fire alarm speakers in retrofits.
(that's why I knew about it.) But my google-fu is failing me right now.

I think the solution to the OP's problem would be to use a 2-gang gem
box, and buy a "switch blank" and a double switch plate (or a plate w/
one toggle and one blank, if such a thing exists?) OR else just give up
and open the wall and use a 1900 box w/ plaster ring, and deal with the
resultant patching and painting. Personally I would be tempted to do
the latter, 'cause I'm anal retentive.

doing the wire fill calcs... 4x 14/2 plus 1 for ground, 1 for clamps, 2
for a yoke requires 2 in^3 per conductor = 20 in^3 so a 1-1/2" deep 1900
box (21 in^3) barely has enough volume. (plaster ring will add a slight
amount of volume) a deeper two gang box would likely make wiring easier
but then you're back where you started with ending up with an
unattractive large switch plate.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

hr(bob) wrote:

[snip]

Can you fit a duplex outlet into the double box in addition to the
switch?

I had that idea too. I know someone who did that in the attic.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the wish to find out,
which is the exact opposite." -- Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A double gang cut in (old work) gem box is what he's using. In your fill
calcs, no ground wires, it's BX

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It sounded like he hadn't cut it in yet. I know 1940's BX didn't have
ground wires but didn't BX gain ground wires the same time that
grounding became required? I know that if I go to the Home Improvement
Emporium and look at a roll of "AC cable" it will have a ground wire as
well as the bonding strip

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

**Even in the 20's grounding was required for things like light fixtures,
under certain circumstances. Even in the 20's you could buy Romex cable with
ground , just for that purpose. The armor of type AC cable (BX) serves as
it's ground. It probably has always been available with a copper grounding
conductor, although I've never seen it. When you go to Home Depot, you're
probably looking at type MC lite, which has a green grounding conductor. I
don't believe they even sell AC cable

I know that if I go to the Home Improvement
Emporium and look at a roll of "AC cable" it will have a ground wire as
well as the bonding strip

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

* wrote:

[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

I have already cut the box in. And as for the BX's, 3 of them are 14/2
original wiring to the condo, steel clad no gnd, and 1 of them is new
14/2 MC lite with Gnd,

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 16, 5:03*am, wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2011 18:05:17 -0400, "RBM" wrote:
You can also buy these as "doubles", for two switches, or outlets, or
one switch and one outlet next to each other.

He doesn't want to open the wall to mount a 1900 box, so he's using cut in
gem boxes

Then he should get the extra deep ones. *Standard are 2.5", but they
make deeper as well as shallower ones. *Get the deepest that will fit
in the wall, gang two of them, and put an outlet next to the switch.
They always come in handy for something anyhow. *Of course they do
make cover plates where half the box is covered with a blank, but if
it was my job, I'd add the outlet.

I don't think a 3.5" single gang box - deep as you're going to find,
and as deep as will fit in a typical wall - will fit all the cables he
has. So really he's still got the same two options as originally
stated - either double gang or 1900 w/ mud ring.

BTW, it seems that these days by the new wire fill calcs, you pretty
much have to use a 3.5" deep box everywhere now, except for a wall
switch on a switch leg, to remain legal.

nate