Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting in single light switch into 2 gang gem box

Doing some electrical work in my brother-in-law's condo. Because of a
wall that was taken down, I have to make a splice box to rejoin some
circuits. One of which was a light switch for the hallway.This will be
in a sheetrock wall so I have to cut in an old work gem box The only
problem is one gem box is to small to fit 4 BX cables, so I wanted to
put 2 gem boxes. But now how do I put in only 1 light switch? Is there
a cover plate made for that purpose? Or am I missing something here?

** Raco actually makes a thing that replaces one of the sides of the gem
box, which adds additional space and sits behind the sheetrock. I think
it's called xcube. This won't solve your problem of getting 4 BX cables
into a box through a 2x3 cutout. If I were you, I'd cut open the sheetrock
8X8 and install a deep bang on 1900 box with a single gang reducing cover,
then patch the sheetrock. It'll be neater, easier, look like it should,
and be legal

*An electrical supply company will have two gang toggle/blank wallplates in
stock. If they don't have the color that you want, it can be special
ordered.

RBM made a very good suggestion. With a 4" square x 2 1/8" metal box you
will have plenty of splice room and you can just put a mud ring on for a
single device.

I hope that we will see some before and after pictures of this condo
project.