Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default just remodeled bathroom- put in new sink, shower, tub.. but sinktakes longer to get hot water, why?

Hi,
just had a bathroom remodeled.. Prior to this, the old sink would get
real hot fast. few secs.. Now it takes approximately 35 secs to get
hot... I checked the shower and tub they got hot real fast... The
shower has 3 new jets.. I have not used the shower yet as it does not
have a door, brand new and I havent used the tub either. Could this
slow getting hot water to bathroom faucset be because I have not used
the shower on a regular basis???

The other batrhoom on same floor gets hot fast.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 15, 8:54*am, KOS wrote:
Hi,
just had a bathroom remodeled.. Prior to this, the old sink would get
real hot fast. few secs.. Now it takes approximately 35 secs to get
hot... I checked the shower and tub they got hot real fast... The
shower has 3 new jets.. I have not used the shower yet as it does not
have a door, brand new and I havent used the tub either. Could this
slow getting hot water to bathroom faucset be because I have not used
the shower on a regular basis???

The other batrhoom on same floor gets hot fast.
Thanks

Check the size of the supply lines...probably way too small. Any
restriction reduces volume.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi,
just had a bathroom remodeled.. Prior to this, the old sink would
get
real hot fast. few secs.. Now it takes approximately 35 secs to get
hot... I checked the shower and tub they got hot real fast... The
shower has 3 new jets.. I have not used the shower yet as it does
not
have a door, brand new and I havent used the tub either. Could this
slow getting hot water to bathroom faucset be because I have not
used
the shower on a regular basis???

The other batrhoom on same floor gets hot fast.

New faucets are water saving "low flow". Slower flowing faucet = more
time for the hot water to get there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On May 15, 11:00*am, "Bill" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

Hi,
just had a bathroom remodeled.. Prior to this, the old sink would
get
real hot fast. few secs.. Now it takes approximately 35 secs to get
hot... I checked the shower and tub they got hot real fast... The
shower has 3 new jets.. I have not used the shower yet as it does
not
have a door, brand new and I havent used the tub either. Could this
slow getting hot water to bathroom faucset be because I have not
used
the shower on a regular basis???

The other batrhoom on same floor gets hot fast.

New faucets are water saving "low flow". Slower flowing faucet = more
time for the hot water to get there.

oh, that could be it.. i never new about low flow.. this are brand new
faucets...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 15 May 2011 08:09:27 -0700 (PDT), KOS
wrote:

On May 15, 11:00*am, "Bill" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

Hi,
just had a bathroom remodeled.. Prior to this, the old sink would
get
real hot fast. few secs.. Now it takes approximately 35 secs to get
hot... I checked the shower and tub they got hot real fast... The
shower has 3 new jets.. I have not used the shower yet as it does
not
have a door, brand new and I havent used the tub either. Could this
slow getting hot water to bathroom faucset be because I have not
used
the shower on a regular basis???

The other batrhoom on same floor gets hot fast.

New faucets are water saving "low flow". Slower flowing faucet = more
time for the hot water to get there.

oh, that could be it.. i never new about low flow.. this are brand new
faucets...

Make sure the valve underneath the sink is all the way on/open.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On May 15, 11:00*am, "Bill" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

Hi,
just had a bathroom remodeled.. Prior to this, the old sink would
get
real hot fast. few secs.. Now it takes approximately 35 secs to get
hot... I checked the shower and tub they got hot real fast... The
shower has 3 new jets.. I have not used the shower yet as it does
not
have a door, brand new and I havent used the tub either. Could this
slow getting hot water to bathroom faucset be because I have not
used
the shower on a regular basis???

The other batrhoom on same floor gets hot fast.

New faucets are water saving "low flow". Slower flowing faucet = more
time for the hot water to get there.

oh, that could be it.. i never new about low flow.. this are brand new
faucets...

Make sure the valve underneath the sink is all the way on/open.- Hide quoted text -

OP could install a mini electric water heater a point of use type if
the delay causes real grief
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 9:54*am, KOS wrote:
Hi,
just had a bathroom remodeled.. Prior to this, the old sink would get
real hot fast. few secs.. Now it takes approximately 35 secs to get
hot... I checked the shower and tub they got hot real fast... The
shower has 3 new jets.. I have not used the shower yet as it does not
have a door, brand new and I havent used the tub either. Could this
slow getting hot water to bathroom faucset be because I have not used
the shower on a regular basis???

The other batrhoom on same floor gets hot fast.
Thanks

Unless they seriously rerouted the pipes such that there is an
additional 35 secs of travel time, I'd guess you've been upgraded to a
low-flow faucet. Since the water is not traveling as fast out of the
faucet, it's traveling a lot slower in the pipes.

Still, going from "a few seconds" to 35 seconds seems like a major
change, unless your old faucet had hydrant-like output.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On May 15, 3:30*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 15, 9:54*am, KOS wrote:

[...]

old faucet was an old american standard from the 1950s..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi,
just had a bathroom remodeled.. Prior to this, the old sink would get
real hot fast. few secs.. Now it takes approximately 35 secs to get
hot... I checked the shower and tub they got hot real fast... The
shower has 3 new jets.. I have not used the shower yet as it does not
have a door, brand new and I havent used the tub either. Could this
slow getting hot water to bathroom faucset be because I have not used
the shower on a regular basis???

The other batrhoom on same floor gets hot fast.
Thanks

In addition to all the excellent advice already offered, take the aerator
off the faucet for a test run. It may have clogged with sediment the first
time it was used. Not easy but a needle can clear the holes.

old faucet was an old American standard from the 1950s..

You are going to get about 1/4 to 1/2 the flow of that old faucet.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On May 15, 6:34*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

[...]

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

nothing clogged, what do you mean 25 to 50 [percent the flow, i dont
undersstand what your saying

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/15/2011 09:08 PM, KOS wrote:
On May 15, 6:34 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=13050

Federal regulations mandate that ... new faucet flow rates can't exceed
2.5 gpm at 80 psi or 2.2 gpm at 60 psi.

your old faucet probably flowed more. You haven't substantially changed
the volume of water in the piping between the water heater outlet and
the sink. So it takes longer for the hot water to arrive when you
haven't used the faucet in a while.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

old faucet was an old American standard from the 1950s..

You are going to get about 1/4 to 1/2 the flow of that old faucet.

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

nothing clogged, what do you mean 25 to 50 [percent the flow, i dont
undersstand what your saying

It is as if you only turned on the old faucet a little ways on. It
would have taken longer for the water to get there because not as much
water is flowing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 6:34*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

[...]

So can blowing the aerator out in the opposite direction with an air
hose or a jet of water.

You just have to make sure you don't blow the screen out and lose it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 15 May 2011 19:47:30 -0700 (PDT), Erin Marulli
wrote:

On May 15, 6:34*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

[...]

I hate to recommend replace rather than repair, and I haen't looked
but I think you can also buy a new screen at a real hardware store,
like ACE. You may have to buy a package of 10! It's real but not
that real. You can give them to your friends, become Johnny
FaucetScreen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
On May 15, 6:34 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

[...]